Thread: Principality of Sealand - Need more Info

Default Principality of Sealand - Need more Info

We know where it is. ( 51░53'40.32"N 1░28'57.11"E )But Google earth has no pictures of it. Why? It's just a aircraft carrier platform big enough to house 200 people. It is the worlds smallest country. I should be able to see it because it's bigger than a car and we can see cars very well. Why would there be no photo of this?

Info: http://www.fruitsofthesea.demon.co.uk/sealand/
    Last edited by JohnPhoenix; 11-16-2009 at 10:27 AM.

The simple reasons are because it's out in the middle of the water near nothing and doesn't really house very many to speak of. It also can't land aircraft other than a single helicopter, and can't even provide hangar space for it. It's not an 'aircraft carrier platform'.

Eventually they will probably put in place ocean tiles across the Channel and North Sea and then it will be visible, but there are much more populated areas around the world that are higher on their priority list.

Yes, you are correct.. but I got that info from one source.. it seems they got it wrong.. it was part of a some type of gun platform for use in ww2. I see.. so you saying they just didn't put in the tiles for it.. Interesting..

Well its a neat thing to see I would think.. worlds smallest country.

It's got a very interesting history, that's for sure, but 'smallest country' really requires some sort of international recognition it doesn't really have. The whole 'pirate radio' aspect and the various legal problems surrounding it make for an interesting reading though. It would rank up there in 'haziest legal status' though!

It'd be cool, but I'm just not holding my breath. I think it'll be a while, but eventually they'll add a tile that includes it. With all of the shipping traffic in the Channel, it seems to be just as interesting some of the oil fields they've added. I have to think someone has imagery of it that they can just give over to Google for it to appear. Hard to say though.