Thread: Where is Free Pics to add to GE

Default Where is Free Pics to add to GE

Doesn't anyone have an aerial photo archive someplace of free pictures I can input into Google Earth to see areas that Google Earth doesn't show very well?

I notice this forum's files area has no extra photos. I find it hard to believe in all the time GE has been around no on has collected photos for use with GE.

Aerial and satellite photos are very expensive. Companies that produce them don't tend to want to give them away for free. Google probably spends a ton of money on licensing fees to obtain the imagery in Google Earth.

In other words, what you're looking for doesn't exist, at least not for free. If you're willing to spend some big bucks you might be able to find imagery to fill in some of the holes.

Matt
    Matt Fox

I have heard that answer before but.. there are things like when Geo 1 released pics of the presidents inauguration. ( I would like to download that whole pic in its full size if anyone knows where to find it) Every now and then someone must release a free pic here and there. I would think perhaps there are pics of popular events someplace.

John, the shots of President's Inauguration are in Google Earth using the time slider/history tool. No need to download an image for an overlay.

As for others, I don't recall many free aerial/satellite images being flaunted around, but I'll see what else might be available.