Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ver 5.1 vs 5.0

Default Ver 5.1 vs 5.0

I am a long time GE user. I recently upgraded to 5.1 beta. Previously, the resolution in 5.0 and older versions could resolve down to a clear picture of my home, and other places that I am familar with. 5.1 Beta is slow to resolve, and when resolved, it is not as detailed as before.

I am running an older version 4.3 on another slower computer, and the resolution is fine. I have tested several versions that I have, and 5.1 beta definitely is not as clear as previous versions, on any of my machines. BTW, the particular machine that I am running 5.1 on is a screamer with 4 gig or ram, 525 GB drive, Pentium Dual core 2.5 gig machine. All on a High speed 15mbs broadband pipe

Additionally, I can search my home and other places on Google Maps, and the resulution is fantastic.

I have tried DirectX and Open GL, but with no better results. I have also tried clearing the cache. I was running(before 5.1) as a Google Earth Plus user. Apparently, one can no longer purchase a GE Plus version, only a GE Pro version.

Has anyone experienced this issue, or have any suggestions as to why 5.1 is behaving poorly?

Thanks

Dennis
    Last edited by dhwhitley; 11-19-2009 at 07:07 AM.

Just FYI, 5.1 is no longer considered beta - http://www.gearthblog.com/blog/archi...no_longer.html

Have you gone to version 5.1.3533.1731 ?

Thanks for the tip. Yes I do now have VER 5.1.3533.1731 . Apparently there was a recent upgrade from the Beta, but GE did not offer it. I downloaded it as a new customer.

I was a little more patient last night after the newer version, and sat on a location for a while, and it eventually loaded the resolution. However, previous versions loaded much quicker. It is "Possible" that since I cleared my, cache it's having to do reloads, but I've done that before, and the sites usually resolve fairly quickly. Apparntly, once cached, the images load fairly quickly, but still shows some resolve time taken.

As a test, I have two computer side by side. Same internet connection through a single router, one machine has GE 5.1, the other 4.3. Clearing both caches, running the same parameters in the options box, the slower machine running 4.3 will resolve 3 to 4 times faster than my fastest machine running 5.1, almost immediately resolving right in front of your eyes.

I wish there were a way to revert back to an older version on the faster machine, that way, I would have better data to work with for a test.

However, I just dragged out an old Laptop that had ver 4.3 as well. same results, 4.3 loads/resolves images much better than 5.1

As a final test, I looked up a few locations on Google Maps, and GM will resolve down to a better image than GE 5.1, and at a much faster pace when running both versions side by side.

Thanks again

Dennis

Couple things might be going on.

If I remember right, Google Earth plus gave you access to faster downloads. So that might only be given to Pro users now. Nothing you can do about that.

Second, you don't say if you have the same addon layers checked or not. All the layers can take a lot of extra time to download. Try turning off everything under Layers so you just have imagery only. That will give you fair comparison between the two.
    Matt Fox

I forgot to mention the layers in the last post. Yes, they are all turned off. Especially the weather layer which is really a hog. There are a few differences in the options of both versions, but I replicated both set ups as close as possible. Neither are running any layers. Even with several layers turned on, both are a bit slower, but 5.1 is still noticabally different than 4.3.

I did suspect a marketing stradegy by eliminating the Plus version, to get us to upgrade to the pro version for 400 bucks

Since my last post, I took one of my other machines that had 5.1 running, un-installed 5.1, went and found ver 4.3, loaded that, and all is well. It quickly resolves the image as I zoom in.

I ran some more side by side tests, and it takes 5.1 an average of 60 to 90 seconds to resolve the same location that 4.3 wil resolve in 15 to 20 seconds. I tested this on several "well known" popular locations. I also tested some rural areas, and 4.3 beat out 5.1 again and again.

I am now convienced that something is obviously different with 5.1. Too may test conclude my my findings.

My next test would be to reverse 4.3 and 5.1 on two of my machines, but as I often have found, some things are best left alone.

I figure if 4.3 will run faster on several "much slower" machines, that's proof enough for me.

I'm open for suggestions.

D

Quote Originally Posted by dhwhitley View Post
    un-installed 5.1, went and found ver 4.3, loaded that, and all is well.
    If I may be so bold as to ask, where did you find 4.3? I would like to attempt to replicate your experiment.

And just to be clear, when you zoom to exactly 387 feet above a spot in 4.3, then zoom to exactly 387 feet above the same spot in 5.1, the 4.3 is clearer (more in focus?) than 5.1?

If it's taking 60-90 seconds then you might have other issues. It only takes 4 to 6 seconds on my machine with current version.
    Matt Fox

I'll agree with Matt, I just tried a half dozen places around the world at random and 5-6 seconds was the longest it took to resolve.

I believe you can download and test old GE versions at filehippo.com

BTW, I also get imagery resolved after only a few seconds.
    Are you uptight, get downloose! Why not try a GE file - Also downloadable at GEC and http://ge.dooley.dk - Tom Kjeldsen

I honestley don't remember wher I got 4.3 from. It googled up on several sites. I just chose the first one I came to.

Yes to someone's question. arond 500 ft, running side by side, 4.3 will be clear in about 10 seconds, and 5.1 will not even be legebile. Eventually, 5.1 wil get there.

I did two tests on two different machines.
    I ran 5.1 , tested, then uninstalled 5.1, then installed 4.3 and tested.

Same locations, same elevations of 500 ft. (Atlanta Hartsfield Airport) "for one that I really know", and several other cities and rural areas.

I timed the time until total resolution. Total clarity.

5.1 took approximately 40 seconds to even become recognizable, and eventually abuot 90 seconds to become clear.
    4.3 took about 10 seconds to render clearly.

Bottom line is, 5.1, on any of my 5 computers takes forever to resolve. However, as mentioned, once resolved, when I go back to an area, it is much quicker, but 4.3 will still resolve those final few 100 feet much better and faster.

Additionally as I mentioned, if I get a location on Google Maps, the resoultion is much much better.

I'm willing to try anything you guys might come up with, otherwise, I can't tolorate the performance with 5.1, whatever the reason may be

I agree with you guys, everybody seems to be happy with 5.1. And, I must have an issue somewhere, but when I have tested it on 5 different machines, something is not ripe in Denmark.

Dennis

Something's not right Dwhitley. Have you checked the size of your file cache? Tools > Options > Cache. Mine's set at 500 and 2,000.

When I type "ATL" into the search box and "fly" to Atlanta Hartsfield, I'm completely resolved as soon as movement stops. Once I'm hovering over ATL (529 feet), when I clear my disk and RAM cache, it takes 5-6 seconds to sharpen back up.

I may be on to something, and I have a question.

I may have narrowed the problem down to one machine / installation.

This morning, GE 5.1 on my fastest machine would not resolve anything. (No pinwheel movement on the bottom right conor icon) As if it were not going out and looking. It seemed to only resolve what I had viewed yesterday.
    Yes, my connection is fine and I can DL @ 11 meg, and UL @ 950 K. Browsing is almost instantaneous.

On my most robust machine, (suspect problem child) my Cache was set to 448mb mem, and 2000mb disk. The other machines were set down at 64mb mem and 400mb disk.

I changed to the lower setting, and immediately saw a performance increase.
    Theroy? Maybe by the higher cache size, it thought it didn't need to go out and poll anything??? Just a theory.

Question...Is there more than one server, and how can I change the server address if there is?

I vaguely remember when I did the original install (months ago) on this machine, GE would not run. A google search led to some talk about a server re-location and server re-naming. It's been quite a while, but seems like I had to go into IE8, Internet options, and add the new server address under "privacy / sites" . After that, GE logged on just fine.

Further, I just ran an internet test on "Google Earth server test". It polled:
    maps.google.com sucessfull
    auth.keyhole.com sucessfull

However, if I remember correctly, there was an issue about kh.google and these particular servers listed below. The server test I just ran, does not test kh and geo. It only test the above.

kh dot google dot/
    geo dot keyhole dot com/
    auth dot keyhole dot com/

((Sorry abuot the dot com. It won't let me post a link))

I am not an extremely skilled computer, but do understand the principal. My best skill is knowing when to stop tinkering However, my worst skill is not sleeping until it works correctly

Thanks so much for your help
    D

I think you may have to retrace your steps to see what you had to do back when it wouldn't install. You don't say where you live, but I wonder if you have to run 5.1 through some kind of proxy. That would slow things down significantly.

Have you tried going to the File menu and logging out, then back in to see if it gives you choice of servers?
    Matt Fox

Okay, stand down the missles, everyone can go back to doing whatever they were doing before I caused panic

The problem is resolved. It was a Linksys Router Issue. I finally connected the machines, one by one, directly to my cable modem, and everything is fine. You guys were right. It will resolve in about 5 to 10 seconds. Apparently, my older Linksys router had some issues that had gone unnoticed.

Not sure what was wrong with the router, but I went out and bought a new one, and it worked first time. Matter of fact, I'm getting much faster browsing with the newer router. And, google Earth is operating as I expected.

Sorry to put all of you through the agony and pain (especially me). However, maybe if someone else has a similar issue, the thread will help.

Thanks again

Dennis

I'm glad the problem is solved. And now that it is solved, don't be a stranger, we certainly want to see more posts from you.
    Last edited by Appletom; 11-20-2009 at 10:57 PM.