Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ver 5.1 vs 5.0

"I'll be back", as Arnold would say.

I actually use Google Earth for Flight Training. I present safety seminars for the FAA on Aviation Safety. One of my Power Point Presentations shows how to add The GE "Aviation Overlay". We use the overlay as a 3-D visual to teach students about airspace.
    (Thats why I knew something had gone wrong since I use GE so much)

Also, if you are an aviation nut, join us at www.FAASAFETY.GOV.
    You don't have to be a pilot, and you can join for free. Please feel free to search for aviation seminars in your area and attend a few, or just browse or site.

Thanks again for all of your help.

Dennis
    Last edited by Appletom; 11-21-2009 at 01:45 PM. Reason: Made link clickable

Quote Originally Posted by dhwhitley View Post
    "One of my Power Point Presentations shows how to add The GE "Aviation Overlay". We use the overlay as a 3-D visual to teach students about airspace.
    Where does one find this overlay? A search at FAAsafety.gov doesn't bring anything up.

http://www.wikihow.com/Overlay-Secti...n-Google-Earth is where to get the 3-D overlay.

It will create an overlay in GE of the major U.S. airspaces in 3-D. It is especially helpful to allow pilots to understand the complexity of airspace. Most airspace is structured like an upside down wedding cake. No two are the same. Some even have corridors running through them to help seperate local flights from commercial flights.

FAASafety dot gov is part of the FAA "Federal Aviation Authority" that is dedicated to aviation safety. You will find all sorts of safety information and tips on flying. If you are a pilot, there are courses that you can take to get credit for, to help keep you proficient.

D
    Last edited by Appletom; 11-21-2009 at 10:48 PM. Reason: Made link clickable

Wow - a very impressive kml file.

And as I was looking at the file, I see that it is created by GEH member Forkboy2, Matt Fox, who runs the most wonderful Google Earth Library website.

Thanks Matt, Thanks Dennis.

We in the Airplane biz agree. GE has done what we used to do with all sorts of mock ups made from cardboard

What will be really benificial is to have what we call TFRs, "Temporary restricted areas" shown. These areas are temporary restricted flight areas such as presidential visits, Space Shuttle Launches, and other dangerous areas such as chemical spills, hurricane affected areas etc.

The information is published hourly in FAA NOTAMS. "Notice To Airmen". There are a few pieces of aviation software that alreay accomplish this task. The software will circle the affected are in read, and pop up a window with the detail.

I know that GE weather is generated at regular real time intervals, so it may be as easy as picking off the TFR's from the notams and placing them on GE. (easy from my perspective), but I would assume very difficult to program!!! I respect the programmers !!!!

One source for the NOTAMS is www dot tfr dot faa dot gov/tfr2/list.html
    Additionally, there are RSS feeds from several vendors for all aviation notices.

I may be able to help with the project if GE is interested.

Dennis

I did the Sectional overlays. Lloyd Bailey did the 3D polygons. Please keep in mind that the information is not current. The 3D polygons are based on data that is many years old. Good for teaching....not good for navigating

Adding real time TFR data would certainly be possible. Would be nice if the FAA created a kml version of the data.

Looks like they are working on an update to their website at http://sua.faa.gov/suatfr/siteFrame.app

You might contact them directly to ask for KML version of the data. There is contact name on the new website.
    Matt Fox

Here is something interesting you can try with regards to SUA and TFR.

Based on the data presented at this website.

http://sua.faa.gov/suatfr/siteFrame.app

I'm not sure....but I think it shows all the active MUAs and TFRs in the US.

Obviously, I'm not making any claims as to the accuracy of what's in the KML.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Matt Fox

Actually....forget the previous version. Use this one. I THINK this shows all Active and scheduled TFRs and SUAs. Usefulness probably limited since it doesn't show any information about each area. Also I think it includes events with a "no scheduled" status.

Let me know what you think. Is this of any use? I can filter the data in many ways (by altitude, type of TFR/SUA, etc.) What would make sense? Unfortunately, I do not think I can separate active, from planned or "not scheduled".

I can also add a layer called "MTR", but not sure what that means. It looks like it shows routes.
    Last edited by Forkboy2; 11-22-2009 at 08:48 PM.
    Matt Fox

Not bad, very visual, but not very informative.

Take alook at this. Go to:

www.duats.com/cirrus.shtml

Download The Golden Eagle Flight Software. It is totally free, and a supurb flight planner. DUATS is the major vendor for flight briefings.

Once loaded, give it a while to update things, winds. notams, etc, then look at Orlando Florida. There is always a TFR over Disny.

D
    Last edited by Appletom; 11-23-2009 at 12:02 PM.

This one is a little better and will let you view SUAs or TFRs separately. You'd still need to go to FAA website to look up the details. I'll fix it up a bit more when I get some time. Gotta go to work at real job now

Like you said, it's missing the details, but might be useful for preliminary research. And maybe FAA will add some more functionality. Right now, what they are providing in format that I can use is pretty basic.
    Matt Fox

You might be able to get the data from DUATS. It is free to users. All you have to do is register. However, carrying it over to Google might raise some copywrite issues.

D