Thread: Problem repositioning placemarks in GE

Default Problem repositioning placemarks in GE

Hi, is anybody able to help me with a major problem I'm having repositioning placemarks in GE please?

I've created lots of placemarks which are stored in various folders under My Places. They've been created over the last 6 months or so and until now I've had no problems repositioning them. Occasionally I find that some placemarks are not quite in the right place so need to move them slightly. In the last week however GE has not been allowing me to do this and save them in their new locations.

I have no problem in actually moving the placemark - I even see the Lat & Long co-ords changing in the Properties box. However when I quit GE and then return to it at a later time, the placemarks are invariably back in their original position.

This happens even if I save My Places before quitting GE, and even if I save the folder to my hard drive as a KML file, quit GE then reload the folder from the KML file instead of My Places. I've even tried uninstalling and reinstalling GE but it makes no difference. Nor does running GE in DirectX or Open GL mode.

In short, I've got no apparent way of saving placemarks in new locations. Needless to say this is driving me crazy as I've got some urgent work I need to do on this.

The only thing I can think of that might have changed recently is I think Microsoft's latest Windows update had some DirectX driver updates. Could this be affecting GE?

FYI, I'm running Windows XP Media Center Edition SP3 (I know, I know, I had no choice...!) on an Acer Aspire 5612WLMi laptop, GE is version 5.1.3533.1731, build date Nov 12 2009. If you need more info about my computer setup, please ask specifically (I'm fairly techie but not to any great extent!)

Hoping somebody can help me...

Many thanks in anticipation,

Graham

I've tried replicating your scenario and I have no problem moving the placemark and having it stay moved.

I open Google Earth, fly to a spot in My Places, right click on the file and select properties, then move the pin with my mouse and click OK.

Then I close Google Earth and when I reopen it the placemark is in the new spot.

I'm running version 5.1.3533.1731. Win Vista SP2

Have you tried all the usual suspects? Clear cache (GE and Browsers), reboot computer, etc.?

Thanks for the quick response Appletom. You're doing exactly what I've been trying to do - the only difference is that in your case GE is saving the new placemark location, whereas it doesn't in mine (oh, and you're running Vista but then GE's worked fine for me under XP MCE for months, so why the change now?!)

I've emptied the caches in GE and IE but this didn't make any difference, nor did switching between OpenGL and DirectX modes. There don't seem to be any other menu options in GE that would probably make a difference, hence why I am so stuck. Any other ideas I could try? Do you know how responsive the GE programming team would be if I e-mailed them?

Many thanks,

Graham

Probably stupid question...but did you save the file again after you repositioned the marker?
    Elfish for my true name
    Findecáno Táralóm

My mind works better in sentences with spaces and long paragraphs loose me sometimes cause I need to picture what is going on at the same time I am reading.

Not that stupid a question, Gandolf - I've been known to do that! (but not on this occasion!) No, I've been saving before exiting all the way through.

Your question did however spark off a thought process which has enabled me to solve the problem (I think) - not sure how, but it did!

I noticed that the placemarks that wouldn't move were stored in a sub-folder with a small folder icon. I then remembered that I had set them up in Google Maps originally, then imported them into GE when I started using that program. It automatically put them into this folder.

I've now tried copying placemarks to the level in the folder structure above this 'Google Maps' folder. Sure enough, I can move and save them, no problems. Placemarks in the 'Google Maps' folder however still won't budge.

So all I've got to do now is just copy all my placemarks to the folder level above where they are now...

I've gone into some detail here just in case somebody else encounters this problem in the future.

Thanks for your help guys, it got me onto the right track in the end.

Best wishes,

Graham

Happy now!