Thread: Strange Formations in Egytian desert ...

Post Strange Formations in Egyptian desert ...

Check it out!
    I was on Google Earth running up a dry river bed when I came across these strange formations in the sand. There is not one, but three sets of these with no apparent tracks leading to or from. Each set measures nearly 500 wide by nearly 600 feet in length. Measuring from the center of one set to the other it is roughly 950 feet north to south and roughly 1700 feet east to west on center. Any insight as to what caused these?
    Latitude: 29░20'23.91"N
    Longitude: 33░13'47.72"E
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by jgeorge; 04-12-2010 at 01:57 AM.

I can't see anything except the dry riverbed. Can you post a screenshot?

He's talking about small sets of areas where digging was done in the river bed. I don't know what the poster means by claiming they're 500 feet across because at most the spots are about 75 feet by 75 feet in size.

It either looks like some defensive tank positions created for wargames (given that this is the Sinai Peninsula, that's reasonably likely) or were dug by people looking for resources such as clay. Given the way they're lined up, they look like defensive spots for tanks or something along those lines.

I'll include a folder with the three spots marked better so you can see.
    Attached Files Attached Files

I think OP is talking about the large divits in the riverbed. My first guess is that nearby villagers dug the holes in search of water. But they don't look like they are in lowest part of riverbed, so not sure about that theory. Perhaps they were looking for sand roses or some other kind of mineral.

Glad I don't live there. Sheesh...that must be tough life.

Matt
    Matt Fox

The reason that water isn't high on the list of options, in my opinion, is because people dig narrow holes deeply for it. They won't start by clearing large areas of the surface.

Quote Originally Posted by Munden View Post
    He's talking about small sets of areas where digging was done in the river bed. I don't know what the poster means by claiming they're 500 feet across because at most the spots are about 75 feet by 75 feet in size.

It either looks like some defensive tank positions created for wargames (given that this is the Sinai Peninsula, that's reasonably likely) or were dug by people looking for resources such as clay. Given the way they're lined up, they look like defensive spots for tanks or something along those lines.

I'll include a folder with the three spots marked better so you can see.
    You are correct ... the individual "spots" are 75'x 75', but each set is roughly 500 feet across. As well each set is almost identical in it's individual markings. As for tank positions ... I would expect to see tank tracks leading to and from these emplacements. When you take all three sets and combine them as one ... 1400 feet north to south, by 2200 feet east to west.

The image isn't such a great quality that I think we'd be able to see the tracks. There's a 'road' running through the most northern set, and yet no individual tracks of any sort can be seen. My assumption about tanks is mostly because many of the spots are arranged in lines. If it were an anti-aircraft battery, it would have been arranged in a circle/flower/star sort of formation. If the image quality was better it would help to be able to see the tracks around them.

Here's something fun, though. Use the timeslider feature. The image we're looking at is from 2002. There's a SPOT image from 2007 and it looks like there's still something there. Can't tell if it's just because there's been no erosion to speak of or if they come back and dig those spots again, whatever they happen to be.

Default some sort of defensive positions

these are some sort of defensive tactical positions, almost certainly for armored vehicles or perhaps mortar or artillery crews

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by Munden View Post
    Maybe in GE he has the terrain size exaggeration up too high as well as not using the proper ruler measurement ?
    JD Wohlever
    Founder, PERSoNA Investigations

Quote Originally Posted by ixboat View Post
    these are some sort of defensive tactical positions, almost certainly for armored vehicles or perhaps mortar or artillery crews
    May be you are right,armored cavilary has this type of formation.

Lightbulb

guys , these are missiles and tanks remained from the war between us (i am Egyptian) and israel , 1973 war , and there are no people living here , it just a dessert .

At-at.

I will try this when I get home. We are not allowed to download software on our work pc...