Thread: The tallest building in every country discussion

Default The tallest building in every country discussion

This is a discussion thread for the following file:

The tallest building in every country

I have fanatically spent the last year thoroughly studying EVERY COUNTRY in the world to find the correct building. I've used every resource available on the internet to find and verify the tallest building in every country, with the most accurate height available. These are all buildings, NOT observation towers. I chose the CTBUH definition of a building as a structure in which 50% is occupiable, so this includes mosques and cathedrals. The buildings in this list are completed or very close to completion. I used the list of sovereign countries on wikipedia. I did allow the UK to be treated as four countries, England, Wales, Scotland, and Northern Ireland. Enjoy this labor of love!

This is a great resource file that took a lot of time and effort to create. This and you LDS file show a fascinating dedication to research.

Thank you.

I would appreciate everyone's help keeping this file up-to-date:

If you know for a fact that there is a taller building in a country than I have indicated, feel free to post it here. Please be 100% sure before posting, ie you LIVE in that country and KNOW that there is a taller building than what I have listed.

Please realize that there are lists of "the tallest building" for countries floating around the
    Internet that are wrong. This includes Wikipedia, Skyscraperpage, and Emporis. For example,
    many websites list the Yerevan Youth Palace as the tallest building in Armenia, but that building
    was demolished in 2003. Some of the Google Earth 3D layer ( Sketchup ) buildings are not
    correct, as far as scale.

Also, with the tough economic climate, many buildings under construction have been put on hold
    or even canceled. The buildings on this list are completed, or will very probably be completed by the
    end of 2010. With one exception ( Saudi Arabia ), they are all topped off.

Many of the buildings listed for small countries, such as Vanuatu, were found based on photographic
    evidence. The website Skyscrapercity ( a sister website to Skyscraperpage ) has a forum that
    encourages locals to post photos of their country and city. I used google ("tallest building in XXXXXX" ) and photos to verify every building on this list.

There are several countries, such as Panama, that are experiencing explosive growth in skyscrapers, so this list will continue to change and grow.

Was I obsessive with this little project? Certainly! That's what makes it so great. The process was
    interesting.

"Tallest building in every country." Semantics came into play. "What is a building? what is a country?" I learned a LOT about different cultures, economies, politics, languages...you name it.

I recommend that everyone be obsessive once in a while. It's educational...and it's fun.
    Share your obsessions too. You might be surprised by the number of people who enjoy it.

Quote Originally Posted by blackdogprod View Post
    I recommend that everyone be obsessive once in a while. It's educational...and it's fun.
    Share your obsessions too. You might be surprised by the number of people who enjoy it.
    Ahh, wonderful advice! Back when I did my large collection files I learned so much about what I was looking for!
    ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾Ľ̃̾)۶

Serbia, Usce Tower is 141 meter = 462 feet

You put 377 feet in description.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/U%C5%A1%C4%87e_Tower

Quote Originally Posted by barakuda View Post
    Serbia, Usce Tower is 141 meter = 462 feet

You put 377 feet in description.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/U%C5%A1%C4%87e_Tower
    Sorry. The 141.1 metres (462 feet) listed in Wikipedia is the height to the top of the antenna.

The building is currently 115 metres (377 feet) to the top of the roof. It was originally 105 metres (344 feet) before the 1999 bombing. When they rebuilt it, they added two floors and a 26m antenna.

Unfortunately, antennae are not considered part of a building's height. Only architectural elements of the building's structure like the roof or spire count. Otherwise, buildings like the Willis (Sears) Tower in Chicago would be listed 300 feet higher. And the spire is a valid part of the Empire State Building's height, for example.

But thank you for bringing this up. I want to keep the heights accurate, and the spire/antenna/roof thing was a part of making up this list.

btw:
    The USCE Tower is a VERY interesting and historically relevant building. It was the target of a 9/11-style aircraft attack IN THE 1970's that was aborted at the last minute! The terrorist wanted to kill Yugoslavian President Tito, who was in the tower at the time. The building was bombed 3 times in the 1990's before being restored and renovated.
    Last edited by blackdogprod; 05-11-2010 at 11:49 PM.