Thread: Editing points on a GPS track?

Default Editing points on a GPS track?

Am I imagining it? I'm sure that in previous versions I was able to edit the points of a track, i.e. a GPX file I had imported. I could click a point and move or delete it. I don't appear to be able to do that any more.

--
    Terry, East Grinstead, UK

No one with any feedback on this please?

--

Terry - Send me the file via PM and I'll take a look at it this weekend.

That's very generous of you Appletom, thank you, I'll do so.

Meanwhile, here's a screenshot illustrating what I mean, which might ring some bells.

GE-TrackProblem-1.jpg

I was trying to select a point. The cursor was a small vertical arrow, not the little cross-hatch rectangle I seem to recall. I think the message was displayed after repeated d-clicking.

Does that help you/anyone to identify the problem? I'm sure I used to be able to edit my GPX tracks in GE, because I recall praising its facility to do so, compared to the clumsy way I have to do it in Memory-Map.

--

Appletom,

Hope you got the file I sent last week?

Anyone with any more thoughts on this? Or anyone able to drag a GPX file into GE as I did and see what they get please?

--

Like you, I cannot edit a GPX in GE. I use RouteConverter to tweak them. It's not terribly intuitive, but it gets the job done.

RouteConverter
    I have an existential map; it has 'you are here' written all over it.

Thanks. I installed it. Looks very complicated. Can you give m a clue what steps I take to simply get GE to read my GPX in editable form please?

Was I right that GE used to be able to do this, or am I imagining that?

--

Terry -

I received the file, downloaded it, and promptly forgot about it without ever opening it. My apologies.

I can easily edit, move or delete points on the track. Look on this picture how I moved the little square. The path doesn't change when I move a point and I can't seem to get the path to redraw itself.

GEH.jpg

I find it interesting that your points are dots and the points I see are triangles and squares.

I use Google Earth free, nothing fancy here. I did have to select the "create clickable image" option when first opening the gpx file.

Quote Originally Posted by Appletom View Post
    Terry -

I received the file, downloaded it, and promptly forgot about it without ever opening it. My apologies.
    Now my turn, for apparently never responding with a 'thank you'. I think I remained baffled and moved on for the time being. However, I'm now back on the same topic - but still remain just as confused!

I can easily edit, move or delete points on the track. Look on this picture how I moved the little square. The path doesn't change when I move a point and I can't seem to get the path to redraw itself.

I find it interesting that your points are dots and the points I see are triangles and squares.

I use Google Earth free, nothing fancy here. I did have to select the "create clickable image" option when first opening the gpx file.
    Can we resume the discussion please, and start with that import dialog. Yours looks quite different to mine. What version of GE are you using? Help > About here says 6.0.1.2032 (beta)
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4019461/GE-GPX-Tracks-1.jpg

That looks very similar to what I recall from previous versions, including the unchecked middle option for KML Line Strings (whatever they are). And I could always then edit the track by selecting and moving its many small red dots. But now, if I proceed to import with that unchecked, I am unable to edit. The little red points remain, but the mouse cursor is now a vertical arrow, not the small rectangle/cross hairs thingie I recall.

Here's a screenshot.
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4019461/GE-GPX-Tracks-2.jpg

The structure of the import is shown in Temporary Places. I can move the 'time arrow' around the track to simulate my walk (once I remember how, from our previous discussion!). And with the path's Properties selected, I can see its tempting dots. But not editable by the vertical cursor on the right! Persistence, or maybe it was d-clicking or r-clicking, produced the message I mentioned before:
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4019461/GE-GPX-Tracks-3.jpg

If instead I do checkmark that option before importing the GPX, I get a confusing situation.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4019461/GE-GPX-Tracks-4.jpg

I now have a coinciding 'path' and a set of 'points'. (I've changed the colour of the former to orange, in an effort at some clarity.) There are a mixture of blue arrows and blue rectangles. I don't understand what they are each meant to represent. I can move either. The screenshot show one move of each, with apparentl similar results. (I can also move a point on the orange path that is neither rectangle nor arrow, but that quickly gets me into a worse mess, as it sees to create a small army of red dots.)

Anyway, so I've now moved those two points. For example to make a correction to my path, due to a loss of GPS signal or failed battery or whatever. But the 'dynamics' are still unaltered. If I use the time slider, the marker remains steadfastly on its original (blue) course.

Can you shed any light please?

--
    Last edited by terrypin; 04-13-2011 at 12:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by terrypin View Post
    Can we resume the discussion please, and start with that import dialog. Yours looks quite different to mine. What version of GE are you using? Help > About here says 6.0.1.2032 (beta)
    I'll try and find some time this weekend to revisit this conversation—but things are whacko hectic right now. So if you don't hear back from me, it doesn't mean I'm ignoring you, it means I completely forgot. Please bump this thread in a week or so if needed.

Here's my version info from Help-->About:

Google Earth 5.2.1.1588
    Build Date Sep 1, 2010
    Build Time 11:06:01 am
    Renderer DirectX 9
    Operating System Microsoft Windows (6.0.6002.2)
    Video Driver 000010DE (00008.00017.00011.09728)
    Max Texture Size 8192x8192
    Server kh.google.com

I'll try and find some time this weekend to revisit this conversation—but things are whacko hectic right now. So if you don't hear back from me, it doesn't mean I'm ignoring you, it means I completely forgot. Please bump this thread in a week or so if needed.
    OK, thanks. I'm off for 8 days holiday tomorrow, although taking my trusty iPad in the hope of finding some wifi access.

--
    Terry Pinnell, East Grinstead, UK

Here's my version info from Help-->About:

Google Earth 5.2.1.1588
    Build Date Sep 1, 2010
    Build Time 11:06:01 am
    Renderer DirectX 9
    Operating System Microsoft Windows (6.0.6002.2)
    Video Driver 000010DE (00008.00017.00011.09728)
    Max Texture Size 8192x8192
    Server kh.google.com
    I guess you forgot about this one?!

When I drag the GPX into GE, the key step to get an editable path like yours seems to be to check the box to Create KML line strings.

But I'm still puzzled why your import dialog has an extra option in it? I am now using the identical version to you, 5.2.1.1588, but my import dialog still looks like the one I showed up-thread for version 6, i.e:
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4019461/GE-GPX-Tracks-1.jpg

--

My import box has four options, yours has three. But notice that we only have one in common - Adjust Altitudes:

Why don't I have an option for creating KML line strings or creating KML tracks? My educated guess - I took my screenshot while right-clicking on a point. I believe you took your screenshot right after dragging the file into Google Earth. We might actually be looking at two different flavors of the GPS Data Import box. Mine should probably be named "GPS Data Edit".

As for the different look, I'm guessing you are using Windows XP and I'm using Vista.

OK, thanks. I'd assumed that your screenshot was of the data import dialog that's displayed when you drag the GPX file into GE. Could you see what that looks like please, so that we're both comparing like with like?

I'm confused by 'taken while right-clicking a point'? What sort of point? How was it displayed? Why would right-clicking a point display such a dialog, which seems to have nothing to do with the properties of a point or possible operations on it? Looks to me like its content as well as its title are meaningless in that context!

--

Quote Originally Posted by terrypin View Post
    OK, thanks. I'd assumed that your screenshot was of the data import dialog that's displayed when you drag the GPX file into GE. Could you see what that looks like please, so that we're both comparing like with like?
    When I did that just now, I have the same thing you do -

I'm confused by 'taken while right-clicking a point'? What sort of point? How was it displayed? Why would right-clicking a point display such a dialog, which seems to have nothing to do with the properties of a point or possible operations on it? Looks to me like its content as well as its title are meaningless in that context!
    Hmmm - I don't recall exactly what I did when I made the screenshot used in my September 18 post:

But that image is two screenshots blended. The more I look at the picture the more I'm thinking I just overlaid the GPS Import dialog box. Look carefully through the translucency and you can see that it doesn't appear to match with the background. Plus the rounded corners show squared-offness from using the crop tool in Photoshop.

So - my GPS Data Import screenshot did NOT come from right-clicking on a point. My apologies for the confusion.

Looking at only the Data Import box, could we have had different versions of Google Earth then? I know that the cut/copy/paste menu comes from right-clicking on a point.