Thread: Openstreetmap, Google Maps, Bing Maps & others as overlays in Google Earth

Default Openstreetmap, Google Maps, Bing Maps & others as overlays in Google Earth

Hi there,

I have written a script for Google app engine that displays a number of online maps in Google Earth through a KML network link:

http://ge-map-overlays.appspot.com/

It's fairly new, and I'd be very happy to receive comments and suggestions, either here or at the link above.

Martin

Nice...works great. Thanks for sharing.
    Matt Fox

That's a nice file. My only feedback would be that I can't take the opacity back to 100%. When I open the file, the opacity slider is at 100%, but the overlays are still slightly see-through.

Default For Missenus

Quote Originally Posted by Appletom View Post
    My only feedback would be that I can't take the opacity back to 100%. When I open the file, the opacity slider is at 100%, but the overlays are still slightly see-through.
    Thanks for your reply. You are right about the default opacity. It was 90%, now it is 100%.

It's a pity that Google Earth doesn't remember the transparency that you set with this slider from session to session. But I'm thinking about allowing users to set the default opacity of their maps through the web site (and then remember that in a database).

Martin

Quote Originally Posted by martin.l View Post
    I'm thinking about allowing users to set the default opacity of their maps through the web site (and then remember that in a database).
    That would be extremely impressive. But wouldn't you need to have 100 kmz files, each set at a different opacity? Or can you set the opacity on the fly, having the webserver set the opacity on demand?

Default Mccalin spread

Quote Originally Posted by Appletom View Post
    That would be extremely impressive. But wouldn't you need to have 100 kmz files, each set at a different opacity? Or can you set the opacity on the fly, having the webserver set the opacity on demand?
    Well, there is no need to change the .kmz files because the opacity is set on each individual map tile overlay, which are anyway generated on demand. And the .kmz files contain a cryptographic hash of the user id so that I could look up the transparency settings in the database.

But I don't think I will find time for this before the holidays.

Greetings,

Martin