Thread: Help importing placemarks FROM Google Maps

Default Help importing placemarks FROM Google Maps

Hi guys,
    I'm wondering if there's a way to import placemarks from a Google Maps application on a website? E.g. the following site http://www.flooringxtra.co.nz/content/our-family-tree has an embedded Google Maps frame, with a number of placemarks representing store locations. Is there a way to transfer these placemarks into my Google Earth?

Thank you :-)

Hi again guys, I'm bumping this thread as I didn't get any replies. Is anybody please able to help on this question? I've had no luck in trying to find out how to do this.

Thanks!

Hopefully someone wiser than myself can figure this out for you. I tried right clicking on the map and looking at all the items under the "This frame" sub-menu and couldn't figure anything out. The closest I got was when I selected "Save Frame As" and saved it as a .txt file. At least I was able to read all the addresses and phone numbers.

Go here:

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?hl=en...09afea2721&z=5

Click on "View in Google Earth".

Cheers,

- Terry
    I have an existential map; it has 'you are here' written all over it.

WOW! That's a double/triple unbelievable WOW at Terry.

How did you figure that out? Are you going to share the secret with polksta?

I guess I could have gotten there eventually, but how did you know to change the "Z" (zoom?) from 8 to 5?

I am impressed Mr. tpstigers, very impressed. (And it was so simple too.)

Quote Originally Posted by Appletom View Post
    How did you figure that out? Are you going to share the secret with polksta?
    Nothing fancy, in fact. Just go to the webpage, then click on 'View' - 'Page Source' (using Firefox. Different browsers may vary, but they should all have some way to look at the page's source code).

When the page's HTML opens up in a new window, scroll down about two thirds of the way. Look for a line of green text that starts with: "<!--Please note: we are experiencing problems displaying locations for some Internet Explorer users." Note the URL that follows.

It never hurts to take a look under the hood.

Assuming that the page's owner wanted all the map data to be public, I thought it was a fair bet that they would opt to store the data on Google's servers instead of their own. Turns out I was right.

- Terry
    I have an existential map; it has 'you are here' written all over it.

Here's how I thought you did it:

Right click on the map, choose "This Frame --> Open Frame in New Tab"

Go to the very end of the URL and delete &output=embed

Hit enter, now you are at the Maps.Google page that will let you click "View in Google Earth."

Oddly enough, your method already has the zoom value at 5, my method has the zoom value at 8.

Hey, thank you very much guys! That's very helpful and has answered my question completely :-)