Thread: Very odd changes in Street View

Default Very odd changes in Street View

While going through my posts and changing ones that are no longer valid to 'Outdated Items', I ran across some odd updates.

I suspect that someone who failed to grasp that the Sampsonia Way art project was done with the full participation of those along the street.

For instance:
    http://maps.google.com/maps?layer=c&...0,0.01031&z=17

The two foam weapon fighters at the end are now blurred out. Also you can see that the original image close to the two guys moving near the front is also gone. The images skip from a point with the truck in the distance ahead to a point past the truck.

I can think of a few possibilities...

1) One of the people in the photo complained to Google
    2) Google doesn't want to encourage this kind of thing
    3) Google is overly-sensitive due to all the grief they've received from privacy rights activists over the street view imagery
    Matt Fox

Well, with regards to #1, they all were there for the sole reason to be in Street View. It's hard to imagine someone going through the planning, showing up, and then complaining.

Speaking to #2, Google also did a lot of planning to show up there. They were as much in on it was the people on the street. If they don't want folks doing this, they only have to refuse requests for special events.

#3 is the most likely of that list. I still wonder if some other random person hit the 'Report Image' button and then someone at Google who didn't know it was a setup did the work. I can imagine blurred faces simply getting caught up in a big update using their blur tool. The two guys 'fighting' at the end was a manual job similar to the German blurring though.

In the end, though, it's just silly to remove some of those images and blur the guys at the end, in my not-so-humble opinion anyway.