Thread: Why are some cities never updated?

Default Why are some cities never updated?

Hi people. I have been a fan of GE for many many years, and one thing hasn't changed. Most of the cities and areas I want to look at in Ukraine and Russia are photos from 500 miles up, they just have a blurry shot of the area. Nothing even recognizable. Is there a reason why some cities are incredibly detailed, and some not at all?

Thanks
    Remote file is too large

Some image tiles are high resolution satellite photos, some are lower resolution sat photos and some are super low resolution satellite images.

And then some are aerial photographs taken from airplanes, these are the areas with the highest detail.

Here's my best guess (my opinion only) as to how it works:

As far as updating, Google has to buy the images from the satellite owners. Popular areas will have more satellites taking photos creating competition. Also, the newest and sharpest cameras point towards the most desired areas, leaving unpopular areas with older, lower quality optics.

Take a look at the spot I marked. On the left you have lower resolution imagery and on the right it's much sharper. The town of Dobrovelychkivka proper is more valuable to Google, so they buy higher resolution files. The outskirts of town aren't as valuable to Google so they don't buy the hi res images.

Where in Ukraine and Russia are you looking?
    Attached Files Attached Files

Quote Originally Posted by Appletom View Post
    Some image tiles are high resolution satellite photos, some are lower resolution sat photos and some are super low resolution satellite images.

And then some are aerial photographs taken from airplanes, these are the areas with the highest detail.

Here's my best guess (my opinion only) as to how it works:

As far as updating, Google has to buy the images from the satellite owners. Popular areas will have more satellites taking photos creating competition. Also, the newest and sharpest cameras point towards the most desired areas, leaving unpopular areas with older, lower quality optics.

Take a look at the spot I marked. On the left you have lower resolution imagery and on the right it's much sharper. The town of Dobrovelychkivka proper is more valuable to Google, so they buy higher resolution files. The outskirts of town aren't as valuable to Google so they don't buy the hi res images.

Where in Ukraine and Russia are you looking?
    Ohh I see. Well that stinks, I thought Google wanted to do the whole world.

I am looking for :
    1. Bar, Vinnyts'ka oblast, Ukraine
    2. Russian Federation, Arkhangel'skaya oblast, Konosha

there are others too. Actually Konosha has gotten better. But Bar has not gotten any better
    Remote file is too large

In addition to those reasons mentioned by Appletom, the other problem with wanting to put the entire world in their database (and you're right, Google has stated they wanted this) is that the world is huge. The satellites can only capture so much imagery on each pass around the globe. On that pass, only certain amounts of the data will be actually useful thanks to cloud cover or general air quality. (smog, humidity, etc)

Unlike environmental satellites like Terra, the image satellites like QuickBird2, GeoEye1 and Ikonos can't take shots of huge swaths of the planet in one pass simply because they're at a much higher resolution.

Quote Originally Posted by Munden View Post
    In addition to those reasons mentioned by Appletom, the other problem with wanting to put the entire world in their database (and you're right, Google has stated they wanted this) is that the world is huge. The satellites can only capture so much imagery on each pass around the globe. On that pass, only certain amounts of the data will be actually useful thanks to cloud cover or general air quality. (smog, humidity, etc)

Unlike environmental satellites like Terra, the image satellites like QuickBird2, GeoEye1 and Ikonos can't take shots of huge swaths of the planet in one pass simply because they're at a much higher resolution.
    Thank you for your explanation. God I wish I had access to those.
    Remote file is too large