Thread: How to see several GPS tracks at once?

Default How to see several GPS tracks at once?

I'm sure I used to be able to do this very easily! I have a dozen GPS tracks in My Places, each one from a walking holiday. But it seems impossible to display them all at once. It's obviously some effect of the (complicated) time slider, but exactly how do I fix it please?

Ideally, I'd simply like to be able to switch OFF that facility, so that the time data was ignored. Is that impossible?

--
    Terry, East Grinstead, UK

I think you can spread out the time slider to display all of the data.
    Matt Fox

Thanks Matt, that does the job!

It would be even better if I could just toggle that Time Slider, but doesn't look possible. I've submitted a request - but then I submitted requests several years ago that haven't been implemented yet, so I'm not optimistic.

--

Maybe something on this page will help terry - http://www.google.com/support/forum/...8c3dab6a&hl=en

Especially the 3-25-10 reply and the 2-15-09 reply. And maybe the 11-20-10 answer.

Thanks Appletom.

I think on balance the best option is to drag the start and end markers to their extreme L and R positions respectively. But it all seems a poorly designed and non-intuitive mess IMO!

--

For each track, there is a time span under Properties - View. The span has a start and end that you can set to be whatever you want. If you set them all to a large enough span they'll all show up at once. You might want to make a note of the original start and end times, though.

- Terry
    I have an existential map; it has 'you are here' written all over it.

Thanks, but I don't follow. Here, that setting in Properties makes no difference.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4019461/GE-T...meSlider-1.jpg

Can you elaborate please?

The only way I've found of seeing the whole track is to place the start and end sliders of the Time Slider at the extreme ends. (That can take up to 3 careful clicks/drags.)

I'm thinking of bringing in a KML file of the track, as well as the GPX, just to get simple displays. The animation (arrow moving along track) is fine, but the downsides are annoying.

--

Change the setting in properties to 'Time Span', then set it to a span that will encompass all your tracks. I set them to the same arbitrary setting (1/1/2010 to 1/1/2012) so that they appear together.

- Terry

Thanks Terry, but that doesn't work here! As you see from my screenshot that setting isn't accepted.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4019461/GE-T...meSlider-2.jpg

But, contrary to what I'd expect, with it set to its default of 'None' I can display the single track if I drag the start and end markers to the two extreme ends.

P.S. It's puzzling why my posts in this thread are succeeding, but two in 'Time Slider affects display of placemarks' have vanished without trace!

--

Try it on the folder just above where you're currently trying. It should work.

Failing that, try on the folder titled "IOW 2010". It seems to only work on the parent folder.

See here: http://twitpic.com/3tp32b/full
    Last edited by tpstigers; 01-26-2011 at 10:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by terrypin View Post
    P.S. It's puzzling why my posts in this thread are succeeding, but two in 'Time Slider affects display of placemarks' have vanished without trace!
    Hmmm - I can see your two missing posts. Have you cleared your cache?

Just kidding! For reasons unknown, vBulletin decided your posts needed the approval of a moderator. There has a been a HUGE spam problem over the past few weeks, dozens and dozens of new users posting scores and scores of spammy posts. We've banned hundreds of users in the past six or so weeks and Mickey's been working overtime to try and stay a step ahead of them. I'm guessing your posts got caught somehow in a changed security setting.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

Quote Originally Posted by tpstigers View Post
    Try it on the folder just above where you're currently trying. It should work.

Failing that, try on the folder titled "IOW 2010". It seems to only work on the parent folder.

See here: http://twitpic.com/3tp32b/full
    Thanks Terry, but I get same result with either of those alternatives.

The behaviour of this Time Slider and its relation to
    - the type and the contents of the file reperesenting the track
    - the options in Properties > View > Date/Time
    remain a closed book to me!

--