Thread: Place name visibilty: any fix likely?

Default Place name visibilty: any fix likely?

Can anyone with connections or inside knowhow tell me if there's ever going to be a fix for this please? It's so frustrating that populated place names vanish at varying heights.

Right now, as I move around and zoom in and out on this area of Tuscany, Italy in which I'm trying to plan a holiday, some villages are sometimes still displayed while larger towns disappear. And I can suddenly find myself viewing what appears to be a barren desert, only to touch my mouse wheel a fraction and get a dozen places appearing. There's no consistency at all.

I'd also like to see a user option to keep them ALL displayed temporarily. It's impossible to plan if, every time you zoom out for an overview, virtually all places disappear!

I agree. It is incredibly frustrating! I used to maintain a file that used GE place locations, however after some update way back when, a huge chunk of the place names just disappeared. That was years ago, and they never fixed it. Besides, have you noticed some town names are like "Business District 12" or some other name that shouldn't be on that layer? The entire "Populated Places" layer needs a serious update.

~5 years back someone made this (http://bbs.keyhole.com/ubb/ubbthread...=325265&page=1) file which is a huge collection of populated places, but by now it's quite out of date. You can try it for your planning, but no guarantee.

All i got, sorry.
    ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾Ľ̃̾)۶

Thanks SpiderX22 - at least it's not just me that's griping about this!

If only I could build my own GE version from all the good bits of previous releases, leaving out the bad stuff...

--
    Terry, East Grinstead, UK