Thread: Use of GE to Export to GIS

Question Use of GE to Export to GIS

Hello everyone

I am currently doing stormwater inspection work for a local council. The outcome of each inspection (deliverables) are a video footage of the inside of the pipe and a PDF report. As council runs and manages its assets through a GIS system, I would like to explore ways of making my deliverables GIS compatible. What I mean by that is effectively when my client click on an existing pipe asset on their GIS screen, I want them to be able to access inspection data easily from there.

My initial line of thought is:
    -I need to import council's shape file into google earth
    -hyperlink inspection data (videos and pdfs) to google earth lines
    -export kml back to council's GIS...

The big question is is this going to work? If it does work would hyperlinked data still show up on GIS as hyperlinked? Are there any other suggestions?

Thanks for help

I believe it can be done. But I do not think you can associate a hyperlink with a line in GE. I think it must be a point or polygon.

Also, GE is just a viewer. So you cannot use GE to export KML to GIS files. Perhaps GE Pro can do that.

I would suggest looking at GE Pro and/or GlobalMapper. GlobalMapper is very good at converting data to KML and other GIS formats.
    Matt Fox