Thread: Two planes same runway discussion

Super Moderator

Default Two planes same runway discussion

This is a discussion thread for the following file:

Two planes same runway

Don't see this every day!! Two planes on the SAME runway!

Super Moderator

Cool find. When you think of the forces than comes from the engines of the large plane it could be catastrophic when the small plane is that close as it is.

Could also be two separate images taken a few minutes apart stitched together in such a way that it looks like the two planes are there at the same time.
    Matt Fox

Super Moderator

That I looked for but couldn't see any sign that two different images were taken.

A few thoughts over at GEC - http://bbs.keyhole.com/ubb/ubbthread...Number=1220205

I disagree with the first poster, the shadows of the jets on the runway match the shadows of the jets on the tarmac.

I'm thinking that the taxiway is closed for some reason that is not visible in the Google Earth image. That's the only thing that makes any sense at all.

What's up with that disorganized collection of aircraft to the southwest of the placemark?
    ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾Ľ̃̾)۶

The only time I've ever seen aircraft gathered up like that was at mothball sites, probably to make maintaining them easier (less walking). As for the 2 planes on the runway, that airport could be using "Position and Hold" handling. This has the controllers direct the following aircraft pull onto the runway as soon as the leading aircraft has moved down the runway a bit. It looks like the smaller plane is doing an intersection takeoff rather than using the whole runway. Not too surprising, since it would not need nearly as much takeoff roll. And yes, the following pilot would have to be VERY mindful of takeoff wake turbulence. As long as he is in the air and above the point at which the leading aircraft left the ground, he will be okay.

Quote Originally Posted by jdmaguire View Post
    that airport could be using "Position and Hold" handling.
    I think we have a winner! Welcome to GEH jdmaguire

I think we may have passed the point of over-analyzing this

But...there is only about 850 feet separating the two aircraft. The smaller plane would not pull out onto the runway for at least 5-10 seconds after the jet started to take-off or rolled past. I don't think that would leave enough time for the smaller plane to taxi onto the runway, turn and stop in position. I wonder if both planes were allowed to taxi onto the runway at the same time for takeoff.

Also, what is the deal with the 14,000 foot runway at this airport?? That must be one of the longest non-military runways in the world. I wonder if that's due to the high elevation of the airport.
    Matt Fox