Thread: lost streetview

Default lost streetview

streetview disappeared.

had it with v.5 then disappeared, upraded to 6 & still the same.

I used to find it in the layers & tick it but is not there now

can you help please. thanx ....nick

Home build, Asus P5K Premium WiFiiFi Intel,
    Intel Core 2 Quad Pro Q6600 95W 2.4GHz, OCZ Vendetta Cpu Cooler, 2x2GB, 240-pin DIMM, DDR2 800 (400mhz) PC2-6400, EVGA GeForce 9800 GTX KO 512MB GDDR3 (PCI-E), Excelsior sata 250gb, OCZ 600W Game XStream Psu, X45, XPpro sp3

Version 5.2.1.1588 - It's in the layers under Ocean and above Weather.

Version 6.0.2.2074 - it appears to be gone. WTF Google?

Edit - I found it. Look for the peg man in the navigation tools. Drag him to where you want street view to open. But the street view bubbles are gone.

We have another Google Earth "improvement" that is, in reality, a downgrade. I really don't understand that company sometimes.

Now, does any body know how I can download and reinstall GE version 5.2.1.1588?
    Last edited by Appletom; 04-23-2011 at 12:27 PM.

Super Moderator

The Street View is still in GE, but in the earlier editions it was in the layers. There it showed up where it was in GE.

Today you have to zoom in to aproximately 180 feet and pegman appears in the upper right corner. Then you have to drag him to a location to see if Street View is available (by blue lines)

I prefer the old system with the camera. Hopefully Google will take it back to that, but I doubt it.

Quote Originally Posted by Appletom View Post
    Now, does any body know how I can download and reinstall GE version 5.2.1.1588?
    You can "always" get the previous GE version at

http://www.google.com/earth/index.html

click download

uncheck
    Include Google Chrome and
    Make Google Chrome my default browser.

click advanced setup

mark Previous version (5.2)

click 'agree and download'
    Last edited by T.Dooley; 04-24-2011 at 02:54 PM. Reason: my god! another spelling error...
    Are you uptight, get downloose! Why not try a GE file - Also downloadable at GEC and http://ge.dooley.dk - Tom Kjeldsen

I just uninstalled version 6 and went back to version 5.2. To do this, from the Google Earth installation page look carefully for an "advanced setup" link under the TOS. Click that and you get the option to download 5.2 instead of 6.

(And don't forget to uncheck the "Install Google Chrome" and "Make Chrome my Default Browser" options.)

Tom types faster than I do.

Quote Originally Posted by appletom View Post
    tom types faster than i do.
    :-)
    Are you uptight, get downloose! Why not try a GE file - Also downloadable at GEC and http://ge.dooley.dk - Tom Kjeldsen

Lost in the shuffle of uninstalling and reinstalling we forgot the most important thing:

nichosi - Welcome to Google Earth Hacks!

Super Moderator

Ah, your'e right. That's much better. Now you can zoom into a find what you can't in GE 6. And these annoying errors of 3D thingys aren't there.

Thanks Tom. Happy Easter to you all. God pňske.

Welcome tO GEH Nichosi
    Last edited by sladys; 04-23-2011 at 01:02 PM.

Thanx all,

managed to do it & am back to enjoy it again.

What a stupit upgrade was that v6 to be pushed in to it.

Best wishes ......nick

And another thing I just noticed, why all the jagged seashore edges now? ....nick

I've been using 6.0.1.2032 (beta) and hoping that the GE team would bring back the old street view approach. But either the majority of users are happy with the new stuff or Google aren't listening to complaints. So I too have now reverted to 5.2.

I have read comments from one (expert) user who prefers the new method because of its 'greater flexibility', but I have not been able to warm to it. Apart from my major gripes that it's harder to navigate and that many views quickly end up grossly distorted, I dislike the broad white 'direction arrows' running along the streets. I use Street View to supplement holiday photos, and editing those lines out of my screenshots is much harder than the sprinkling of camera symbols in 5.2.

--------------------
    EDIT: I thought it might be useful to quote the expert I mentioned above, even though I confess I don't fullly understand some of the points he made. This was Barry Hunter's reply, over in the Google Earth Help Forum, when I raised my criticisms about the new street view method three months ago:

Its not so much corruption, as distortion required by the rendering method.

Rather than simply project the streetview image onto the inside of sphere (more or less like Google Maps does - or the old SV in GE) - its projected onto a 3D service, based on data captured alongside the actual photographic imagery.

The reason for this is twofold; one, in this new Ground mode, can actually move around inside the streetview 'bubble' so as move around in the location the the perspective of the 3D environment.
    But also in theory transitioning between SV bubbles is smother by taking into account the 3D shape of the objects in view. (compare to the transition in GMaps - which just animates the whole sphere)

Alas of course the actual imagery still is just a single image taken in from single point in space (the ball on top of the car) - so this fake 3D doesn't actually have imagery to show for the sides of 3D objects. - i.e. you the viewer can get into locations, and see faces not actually visible to the SV camera - so it can it has to make something up - that's the stretched imagery you see..

Can minimise the distortion by making sure you 'stand' as close to the center of the bubble as possible - ie the location of the original SV camera.

... so yes while it can produce some wacky effects, it (IMHO) produces a far more realistic environment. With time the technology can only improve (such as using imagery from adjoining bubbles to fill in the gaps, bit like you cant usually see the car at the bottom of the imagery, - its been blotted out!) - and glad Google is experimenting with new things.

--
    Terry, East Grinstead, UK
    Last edited by terrypin; 04-26-2011 at 06:23 AM.

Managed to get an attachment showing the cerrated coast lines mentioned in my last
    No.11 post.

Can anybody help on this? .........thanx ..nick
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by nichosi View Post
    Managed to get an attachment showing the cerrated coast lines mentioned in my last
    No.11 post.

Can anybody help on this? .........thanx ..nick
    Nick,

If I've understood you correctly then that's just the effect resulting from the individual photos taken. Seas and oceans are a special case. it would hardly be worthwhile photographing all of it with the same precision! So you get the impression of discontinuity around many coastal stretches.

If you zoom in you'll see full detail of everything, with no serration.

As it happens, our vacation in April last year was broadly in that area (a walking holiday on the IOW). I'm right now making a DVD of the holiday, including many GE screen captures and - getting back on topic - several street views close to the beach.

--
    Terry, East Grinstead, UK

I'll elaborate some more details on Terry's first paragraph.

The only difference between places with 'jagged' edges and those with smooth edges is the size of the image tiles used in the area. Most satellite imagery comes as large tiles, so that trimming leaves a fairly smooth edge. Those large tiles tend to extend well offshore.

Aerial image tiles are much higher resolution, and the tiles cover much smaller areas. Because the tiles are so small, they don't extend out into the water as much and so the whole tile is untouched by the coastline edit. Sometimes the aerial photographs DO extend out into the water a ways and the edge will be smooth, but as you can see it's not a sure thing. The only real solutions are to always go far off shore with these high resolution aerial pictures or trim closer to shore. I don't think any of us would prefer the latter of the two.

I hope that made sense.