Thread: Street view: what direction initially?

Default Street view: what direction initially?

When you click a camera position and GE displays the first view, what direction are you facing? If for instance the road runs roughly east to west, what determines it?

--
    Terry, East Grinstead, UK

I guess it depends on what direction the streetview car was heading, but I may be wrong: sometimes the initial direction is slanted 45 degrees from the grid (if there's a grid) when I use SV.
    Maybe the guys at Mountain View don't a have a specific guideline for this, they just use their good sense.

Just tried a couple of dozen streetviews from inside Google Earth. Sometimes I'm facing north, sometimes south, sometimes west and once I was facing east.

Sometimes I'm facing the direction of travel, sometimes I'm facing perpendicular to the direction of travel.

So, the answer seems to be that there is no rhyme or reason to the direction you are facing for the first view. I'm guessing each bubble has its own command for what direction to face.

Thanks both.

OK, so I guess it's down to the user to work out. Often quite tricky in practice in hedgebound lanes around my walking areas!

Street view can be helpful if I'm planning a walk which includes stretches of twisty, narrow lane. I can see what chance I have of avoiding traffic death via emergency escape routes like grass verges or ditches - or their absence!

I suppose one method would be to click on positions in the same lane where there is a clear indication of direction, like a junction or a gate onto a field track, etc, and then methodically move along the lane to the required section.

--
    Terry, East Grinstead, UK