Keeping custom icons?
Does anyone know how to ensure that any custom icons carefully added to the Icon dialog are retained permanently for later sessions of GE please?
Using Add Custom Icon... I've added half a dozen new ones that I'd like to be able to use regularly. But on restarting GE they are no longer displayed. Fairly tedious having to add them all again.
I found all the built-in icons (167 of them in my case) in the folder
C:\Program Files\Google\Google Earth\client\res\shapes
so I thought maybe I could place copies of my new ones there. But oddly it appears that GE doesn't access them there (or C:\Program Files\Google\Google Earth\plugin\res\shapes ) but gets them online?
For example, the plane icon is shown as
and that file doesn't appear anywhere on my HD except those two folders.
Anyone have some insights into how this works and how I might achieve my aim please?
Late last night I came up with a reasonable work-around pending the above ideal solution.
1. Create a folder My Places > Custom Icons
2. Populate it with (arbitrary) placemarks with the custom icons.
3. So if I have 6 custom icons I ened up with 6 suitably named placemarks, each with one of those icons. Obviously, keep these unchecked so they're not visible.
When I want to use one of the icons for a new placemark:
4. Open its properties and close again (with OK, not Cancel).
5. Make the new placemark in the usual way (navigating to its location and hitting Ctrl+Shift+P).
6. The custom icon from step 6 will be the default, so just accept that.
As an alternative I have also used Macro Express Pro to write a macro that I can trigger with a mouse click in the Icon dialog. It browses to a folder called \Favourite GE icons, where I've placed my icons, awaiting my choice. Although that's faster than doing it entirely manually, on balance I prefer the neatness of the My Places method.
But neither are as good as adding icons permanently to the built-in dialog display. So I'm still keen to hear from anyone who knows how to do that please.
Terry, East Grinstead, UK
Last edited by terrypin; 06-09-2011 at 06:46 AM.