Thread: What's the best way to follow a line of longitude or latitude?

Default What's the best way to follow a line of longitude or latitude?

So I'm new to google earth. And what I want to do is follow various meridians and see what lays along them. It's kind of hard to zoom all the way in to find the meridian until you get only, for example, 77degrees west and not 77'06'22'' or something like that. I just want to go to a meridian and be able to follow it all the way around the earth, toggling between a zoomed-in view and a zoomed-out view for long stretches across the ocean. What's the best way to do this?

This solution is a bit of a kludge, but it works. Pick the meridian you want. Go to the Antarctic. Select the path tool. Starting fairly high, make sure 77║ is in your field of view. Keep zooming in, keeping 77║ close. Eventually when you are a few hundred feet above the surface, you should be able to put your cursor within a few feet of the 77║ meridian.

Start your path here. Zoom out, way out. Drag the globe so that you can zoom down on 77║ somewhere in the Arctic. Keep zooming and adjusting till you are a few hundred feet above the ground and can place the second point of the path within a few feet of 77║.

You now have a path you can follow.

77.kmz

Thanks for the help. However, I noticed when I zoom in enough the line disappears completely. Do you have to be zoomed out at a certain distance to see the meridian?

GE has a very annoying habit of making lines and text disappear when you need them the most. As far as I know there isn't much that can be done about it, other than messing around with the text sizes.
    Matt Fox

Didn't try it at assorted altitudes. That disappearing act the path does is just dumb. I tried playing with the properties of the kmz, but couldn't get anything.
    Last edited by Appletom; 06-21-2011 at 01:00 PM.