Thread: GoogleEarthHacks dead?

Default GoogleEarthHacks dead?

Hi i think GEH became lame.
    Almos no new releases, no publicty in the medias anymore.
    Is this project dead, sleeping or what?

Regards Stefan

Not dead, but certainly slower. I'm keeping an eye on things, approving files, adding some new ones, but interest in Google Earth as a whole seems to be waning a bit. For example, here's the Google Trends for "google earth" since it launched:
    http://www.google.com/trends?q=google+earth

Not pretty...

Google Earth Dead? In no way, I hope! The idea of displaying the earth surface and features as close to the real thing as possible has in my opinion completely changed our way of seeing the world. And will continue to do so for years ahead.

I don't see Google Earth (The App, The desktop version, The plugin and Google maps in general) in a declining trend as a total.

As I see it, it's completely logical that GE (Desktop) is fading since the initial (absolutely deserved) hype of it back in 2005-2006-2007. It was and is to a large extent still pretty revolutionary and very innovative! Things evolve and new technologies arrives. Nothing is or should be completely locked in time. GE (and keyhole) provided the base back then.

So on the other hand I therefore see it completely logical too, that GE (Maps) increase. For allmost any occasion a GE (map) is embedded on a webpage with placemarks and info about a current event.

The Plugin and Map continue to add features which leave the 'original' GE (Desktop) obsolete in many general displays. Still I think we will for a long time have the GE (Desktop) as the base application with the full set of features. The one you fire up when you want to see it ALL and have 'pro' navigation options not possible in a browser...

Just my 10 cents bet for the GE future
    Tom
    Last edited by T.Dooley; 08-29-2011 at 03:55 PM.
    Are you uptight, get downloose! Why not try a GE file - Also downloadable at GEC and http://ge.dooley.dk - Tom Kjeldsen

Default The thread is about google earth hacks not google earth :-)

The thread is about google earth hacks not google earth :-)
    Quote Originally Posted by T.Dooley View Post
    Google Earth Dead? In no way, I hope! The idea of displaying the earth surface and features as close to the real thing as possible has in my opinion completely changed our way of seeing the world. And will continue to do so for years ahead.

I don't see Google Earth (The App, The desktop version, The plugin and Google maps in general) in a declining trend as a total.

As I see it, it's completely logical that GE (Desktop) is fading since the initial (absolutely deserved) hype of it back in 2005-2006-2007. It was and is to a large extent still pretty revolutionary and very innovative! Things evolve and new technologies arrives. Nothing is or should be completely locked in time. GE (and keyhole) provided the base back then.

So on the other hand I therefore see it completely logical too, that GE (Maps) increase. For allmost any occasion a GE (map) is embedded on a webpage with placemarks and info about a current event.

The Plugin and Map continue to add features which leave the 'original' GE (Desktop) obsolete in many general displays. Still I think we will for a long time have the GE (Desktop) as the base application with the full set of features. The one you fire up when you want to see it ALL and have 'pro' navigation options not possible in a browser...

Just my 10 cents bet for the GE future
    Tom

Quote Originally Posted by fear View Post
    Hi i think GEH became lame.
    Almos no new releases, no publicty in the medias anymore.
    Is this project dead, sleeping or what?

Regards Stefan
    Stefan -

I think what has happened is that the novelty of Google Earth has worn off. You and I both joined GEH in 2005. Back then we would open Google Earth and be amazed and awed. We would think of a place and go look at it just because we could. Heck, we would go nowhere at all and look around from the Eye-In-The-Sky and see if there was anything interesting.

Now Google Earth is just one more tool on our computer. When was the last time you opened Google Earth just because? Opened it without any destination or objective in mind? Remember, back in 2005 we would do this all the time. And as we found cool stuff, we would share it here. Nowadays we only open Google Earth when we already know what we want to see or where we want to go. Our days of exploring for the heck of it are long gone.

So is GEH lame? No. Imagine if you had first discovered Google Earth yesterday and discovered GEH today. The site is 100 times richer than it was when we first joined and it would be a HUGE tool for increasing your enjoyment of Google Earth.

Quote Originally Posted by fear View Post
    The thread is about google earth hacks not google earth :-)
    I saw from the start that your initial posting said GoogleEarthHacks and GEH, but for the rest of it I interpreted it as you talked about Google Earth and not GEH :-)

If it's GEH you refer to, hvad do you mean by releases?
    And publicity in medias, is that the mentioning of GEH?
    Has there been so much media cover of GEH in earlier days?

I've been an almost daily visitor at GEH (both forum and website) since january 2008. Of course the activity level has faded to a lower level, but there is still activity, new GE and SV files are being submitted. I think it's very naturally that it gets harder to find undiscovered places and thus longer between the new file submissions.
    Are you uptight, get downloose! Why not try a GE file - Also downloadable at GEC and http://ge.dooley.dk - Tom Kjeldsen