Thread: Anyone tried Street View in 6.1?

Default Anyone tried Street View in 6.1?

The sole reason for my reverting to version 5.2.1.1588 a few months ago was my dislike of version 6 Street View. In particular, the way it gave distorted views when zoomed/rotated. And also those thick white lines in the centre of the road, which spoil any screenshots.

I see 6.1 has just been released and mentions improvements to Street View. Before I bite the bullet, can anyone give me any feedback on whether those two have changed for the better please?

--
    Terry, East Grinstead, UK

Default Updated to 6.1 and..

First thing I noticed is that there's a search bar at the bottom of the "Places" toolbar which searches through your places. The bar also has an "Adjust Opacity" option which is useless since it's unclickable. Still no way to select multiple placemarks (so long overdue). There's a new feature for adding links and images to placemarks without knowing the code for it.

The streetview man is still located by the compass, which is one of the reasons I never liked GE6; it was so much better to have a layer you could turn on and see all the blue areas (also was easier to get to Streetview in Google Maps).

When you jump into Streetview:
    If you move with the arrow keys you still end up with image stretching before the next image loads. When the next image loads it's smooth and has no stretching. Therefore, its better to move with the mouse as it will load a new, smooth image when you move.

On a final note:
    It took about a minute until GE6 crashed. GE6 crashes way too much; it's one of the main reasons I rarely use it. When moving placemarks in the "Places" folder, particularly those with information in them, GE tends to crash. On that note: the new update has done nothing to fix any of the issues I have with Google Earth: Tried going back to 4.3, which I liked the best, but it's nowhere to be found. Trying the latest version 5 now.
    Last edited by SpiderX22; 09-23-2011 at 03:18 PM.
    ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾Ľ̃̾)۶

Thanks SpiderX22, appreciate the feedback.

--
    Terry, East Grinstead, UK

Honestly, though, that search bar has been there for years. I don't understand why Google was talking about it now like it's a new feature. About the only change I can see is that it's always open now, whereas before you hit Ctrl-F to open it.

GE6 is fine for me as long as I don't use Street View. When I use that, it crashes very shortly thereafter. I always use Google Maps for Street View. The interface is not only infinitely more stable, but much more useful.

Thanks, Munden. For the time being I reckon I'll stick with 5.2.

--
    Terry, UK

Quote Originally Posted by SpiderX22 View Post
    Tried going back to 4.3, which I liked the best, but it's nowhere to be found.
    Which version of Google Earth 4.3?

Google Earth 4.3.7191 - http://www.filehippo.com/download_google_earth/4034/
    Google Earth 4.3.7204 - http://www.filehippo.com/download_google_earth/4092/
    Google Earth 4.3.7284 - http://www.filehippo.com/download_google_earth/4390/

All versions of GE, from v3 to v6 - http://www.filehippo.com/download_google_earth/history/

Quote Originally Posted by Munden View Post
    Honestly, though, that search bar has been there for years. I don't understand why Google was talking about it now like it's a new feature. About the only change I can see is that it's always open now, whereas before you hit Ctrl-F to open it.
    Never even knew it was there. o.O

And thanks Appletom! I went with downloading 5 over 4 since 4 Google doesn't support it at all anymore. And I went with 5.1 since I heard from some people it's more stable than 5.2

In GE5 it's so easy to switch from Streetview from within GE to GM. I haven't a clue how to open the current Streetview in GM from GE6.
    ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾Ľ̃̾)۶

Quote Originally Posted by SpiderX22 View Post

In GE5 it's so easy to switch from Streetview from within GE to GM. I haven't a clue how to open the current Streetview in GM from GE6.
    I'm not entirely sure what you mean, but if you mean 'open Street View directly from Google Earth when going to Google Maps' then I'm not sure. I just hit the Google Maps button and drag the guy manually.
    Last edited by Munden; 09-24-2011 at 04:19 AM.

One other minor thing is that the network folders for the latest imagery don't re-center the globe when the polygons are finished loading. It just sits there. The polygons don't load in quite the same way either. They used to briefly flash up with the default appearance (filled and white) before applying the color and line styles. Now they just pop up.

6.1 is indeed buggy as hell.
    Even if i close it the normal way, it wants to send a crash report...