Thread: Why is time slider path faintly visible before playing?

Hybrid View

Default Why is time slider path faintly visible before playing?

If I open a GPS path in GE and use the Time Slider to animate it, the path appears strongly in the colour and opacity of my choice, fine. But when the front slider is back at 'home base' on the left, I can still see the path faintly.

Whether this is immediately or after a few plays I'm not yet quite sure.

Anyone else see this please? Know how to explain it?

This is GE 5.2

--
    Terry, East Grinstead, UK

Anyone with any ideas on this please?

Here are two screenshots illustrating the puzzle:

GE-Path-Transparency-2.jpg

GE-Path-Transparency-1.jpg

--

Terry - Can you send me the file or post it here? I have enjoyed digging into timeslider mysteries with you before, let's see if we can figure this one out over the weekend.

Thanks Appletom. I've uploaded 20110223-Joshua.kml to this site's Files (where it awaits approval right now) or you can just get it from
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4019461/20110223-Joshua.kml

It's an 11 mile hike I did in the Mojave desert section of Joshua Tree National Park on 23rd February.

Following my usual procedure, the GPS file (from my smartphone, an HTC Touch Pro 2 using Windows Mobile 6.1) was imported to my PC. (I use Memory Map on both the PC and TP2). Then saved as a GPX, which was opened in GE 5.2 in the 'regular' way.

This is bugging me and I'm working on it, but not quite there yet!

It doesn't happen with all my tracks. And it seems to depend on whether the file is the only time-stamped file present in My Places. If/when the penny drops, I'll post here again, as I'm sure there are more enjoyable things you could be dong this weekend. Me too, come to that - we're promised 29 degrees F, 10-15 degrees over the norm for the beginning of October!

EDIT:
    More info, new behaviour. I tried another freshly made, very short GPS recording.
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4019461/TestMMO.gpx

This gives a different result that's just as puzzling, as you see in this YouTube clip.

http://youtu.be/u4Y14Ef1yJw?hd=1

By fiddling in various aribitrary ways I could sometimes then see part or all of the track. No idea what the 'rules' are here!

ANOTHER EDIT:
    Re that last small file's behaviour. It's so erratic that I have a sneaking suspicion it's down to the very long-standing GE 'Greenwich meridian" bug discussed here:
    http://www.google.com/support/forum/...88e951b0&hl=en

I live almost on the meridian, so I won't use local tests in future! Let's ignore it for the current discussion.

--
    Last edited by terrypin; 09-30-2011 at 11:57 AM.

Terry - Can you send me the file or post it here? I have enjoyed digging into timeslider mysteries with you before, let's see if we can figure this one out over the weekend.

No ideas on this then, Appletom?

--

Completely forgot. But I've got the file.

This is weird, the Joshua file has faded path but the gpx doesn't. And I could get the gpx file to turn solid blue (the whole path only, but never a portion) when I loaded it as a gpx, but when I saved it as a kml and reloaded it, I couldn't get any visibility at all.

I'm stumped for now, I'll play more later.