Thread: KML problem with Version 6.1 (beta)

Angry KML problem with Version 6.1 (beta)

Hi All,

Briefly - Our comapny writes surveying software for land Surveyors and topographical Surveyors in the Southern African region. We have about 3,000 Surveyors currently using our software.

Up to now (Versions 5.* and 6.0), we have been able to generate KLM files in our software that send various types of data to the Google Earth display. This is a very useful function, as the Surveyors are able to send their survey data (cadastral data, DTMs, contours etc.) to their clients in KLM files and then the clients are able to view these data on the GE surface, which is more informative than just looking at data on a blank piece of paper.

On Monday I upgraded my GE to Version 6.1 (beta) and to my horror I discovered that the KLM files containing contours would not display on GE. GE just showed a few horizontal lines somewhere near the equator (we are in South Africa!) and that's it. Other files seem to be OK. I then removed GE 6.1 and re-installed GE 6.0 and the contour KLM displays perfectly.

What I need to know is - has there been some deliberate change in GE with Ver 6.1 that prevents the KLM from displaying, or has Ver 6.1 got a "bug"?

Has anyone else expierenced KML problems in Version 6.1? I have attached a simple sample KML file of contours, if someone would like to have alook at the problem.

Cheers,

Keith W. Young

Keith - I would guess it's a Google Earth bug, version 6 has had numerous glitches, errors and other odd behavior.

The file displays fine here (v 5.2.1.1588), it's a bunch of topographic red lines in a field. I think I have version 6 on my work computer, I'll upgrade to 6.1 and give it a whirl in a few hours.
    Last edited by Appletom; 10-06-2011 at 02:37 AM.

Keith, your problem is very simple.

Note the KML information page for coordinates. The relevant text is: Do not include spaces between the three values that describe a coordinate.

Apparently the older version didn't have this issue or it handled it better. All I did was pop your KML into WordPad and edit ", " to be just "," and it loads correctly. It's a neat little file, really.

Dang Munden, that's impressive. I forgot to check the file at work.

Wink KML problem with Version 6.1 (beta)

Hi Munden,
    Thanks for your prompt reply and useful tip. I will do as you suggest regarding the co-ordinate values, reload GE Ver 6.1 and give it another go!!

Keith Young

Wink KML problem with Version 6.1 (beta)

Munden - All is working well now. Thanks for your help and advice.
    It seems that GE has taken a backward step in Version 6.1 if it is not able to trim spaces from coordinate values, as it did in previous versions.

Thanks again

That's great to know, Keith. Glad to help.