Thread: Version 6 - Impressions?

Default Version 6 - Impressions?

I see that today's update includes three enhancements. Two are clear enough, 3D Trees, and Historical lmagery. But I'm not sure I understand what the other, 'Street View', is meant to add to the existing version 6 Street View? I think perhaps it's just the fact that it now includes the facility to toggle buildings on/off. But if anyone tries it, could they post comments here please?

I'm still stuck with the dilemma that (up until now anyway) I far prefer the version 5 Street View. But i would like to keep up with the other neat features, so...

--
    Terry, East Grinstead, UK

For me the ideal solution would be to have both GE 5 and GE 6 on my computer. Any idea if this is possible? I imagine I could download GE 5 on a flash drive/external HD and then GE 6 on my actual computer and then plug in the drive/external when I want GE 5. But is it possible to also drag GE 5 to my computer and have both still work?
    ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾Ľ̃̾)۶

If you try it, please report back. I too would like to be able to switch quickly and reliably between both versions.

--

So, I had the latest GE 5 version on my laptop and wanted it so GE 5 would stay on the laptop and GE 6 would be on my external HD. I downloaded the GoogleEarthSetup.exe file to my external and ran it. I was hoping I'd get a message to select where I'd like GE installed, but none of that. It just deleting GE 5 and upgrading to GE 6.

I then took the GE 6 file (C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Google Earth\client) and put it on my external HD and deleted it from the laptop (rather than uninstalling GE 5 from the control panel). It still runs fine from the external.

I then reinstalled 5.1 (http://earth.google.com/support/bin/...&answer=168344). I never liked 5.2 (I actually don't remember why), so I'm going with 5.1.3535. Unplugged the external to make sure that doesn't get affected.

They both run fine and if you save on one version that placemark/folder will still appear if you open the second version. As a note: despite having moved my entire GE client folder to the external, disconnecting it, and reinstalling GE 5, after install I still had all my files. I would still suggest backing up the "My Places" folder, but it seems to remember your files.

Unfortunately, you cannot run both at the same time (probably because they are pulling their placemark info from the same place and there's some memory issue). It gave me an error and a .dmp file. I can't be bothered to download the tools to read .dmp files (especially since I won't understand what anything in it means), so for now suffice to say I can't get both to run simultaneously.

P.S. This was all done on Windows 7 64bit.
    P.P.S. Sorry, I write a lot.
    ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾Ľ̃̾)۶

Well done! Thanks for that detailed feedback. I may well try something similar on my desktop PC, using its 'My Book' external HD.

One complication in my case is that I use a lot of macros (written with Macro Express Pro) to supplement all of my apps, and GE has a lot. (I can elaborate if anyone's interested.) Many would need new versions for v6.

Let us know if you get to like v6 enough to make it exclusive.

And if you remember what 5.1's attraction was over 5.2!

--

Quote Originally Posted by SpiderX22 View Post
    For me the ideal solution would be to have both GE 5 and GE 6 on my computer. Any idea if this is possible? I imagine I could download GE 5 on a flash drive/external HD and then GE 6 on my actual computer and then plug in the drive/external when I want GE 5. But is it possible to also drag GE 5 to my computer and have both still work?
    I just ran across this Thread and thought I'd post to give you some news you might like.

You can easily run both version at the same time on your Computer by Installing it in a sandbox. I just did it running version 5.1. xxx and the latest beta of Google Earth. I do this all the time testing new Software. I always use it to see how the latest Version of FireFox runs before I Install it. The only condition that may slow you down is, you should have a decent size Video Card. I don't have a very powerful Video Card on my PC and having both Programs run at the same time or popping from one to another sucked the power from my GPU.

Here's the Program you use.

Sandboxie

http://www.sandboxie.com/

It's a really light-weight Program, "950 Kb" that has an Installer for 32bit and 64bit Computers. It's usually used to keep you System protected from any and "All" Malware. Any Program you Install in a Sandbox can only run in that Sandbox, and can't touch any of your System or change anything. As soon as I was finished with Testing the latest Google Earth, I just Deleted the Sandbox, and everything was gone. ... No trace of it. Nothing in the Registry either. It also copies all your Place-marks and Settings.

If your new to virtualization, I'd suggest you read the Help & FAQ Page at Sandboxie.com. If you have a problem using it, the Help Forum is just about the best you can get. Just be polite and make sure you put down the OS System and the version of Sandboxie you're using.

Help & FAQ

http://www.sandboxie.com/index.php?HelpTopics

Sandboxie Forums

http://www.sandboxie.com/phpbb/

You can use the Free Version as long as you want. All you have to do is put up with the Nag Screen asking you if you want to buy it. The activated Version doesn't give you much more. You can check how much more you get on the Download page.

I guess the reason I'm so long-winded is because this Program is probably the best I've ever Paid for, bar-none.

Enjoy

Ken:
    Last edited by Hank52; 11-29-2011 at 06:47 PM.