Thread: From ground level vertically upwards: how?

Default From ground level vertically upwards: how?

I'm at ground level. (Not 'goround' levl as I carelessly typed in the uneditable subject!) I want to move vertically upwards for some height, as if in a lift or rocket. No tilting or turning, just the same view but gradually increasing in height. It doesn't seem possible with the manual navigational tools. But it should be possible to convert the fixed placemark into a KML file that does it. Anyone know how please? Some external utility perhaps, or even an algorithm or rule I can attempt to use in Excel?

I've asked in the KML forum too.

--
    Terry, East Grinstead, UK
    Last edited by terrypin; 12-08-2011 at 12:57 PM.

OK, sorted in principle thanks. Reckon I could do this by manually editing the altitude co-ords of the placemark, saving that as a second placemark, and manually creating a tour from one to the other, or just a Fly To.

I still wonder if there's a tool somewhere for simplifying this.

--

Can you not use the "+" and "-" on the right?

If you grab the middle with your mouse you can control the speed.

Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob View Post
    Can you not use the "+" and "-" on the right?

If you grab the middle with your mouse you can control the speed.
    Thanks BillyBob, but those are just straight zoom controls. They only work if you're viewing directly down at the ground to start with. I'm starting with a view that might be say looking along a city street (with 3D buildings enabled).

--

This would be super useful to have. If you figure any way to do this out/a tool that does this, I'd really like to know.
    ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾Ľ̃̾)۶

Quote Originally Posted by SpiderX22 View Post
    This would be super useful to have. If you figure any way to do this out/a tool that does this, I'd really like to know.
    I knew I'd done this before.

I pulled out my 3D Connection SpaceNavigator (6-axis mouse) that mysteriously happened to be where I didn't think I'd left it. It has a built in "Altitude" option that lets me do exactly as you want. The different axes: Pan Right/Left, Altitude, Pan Up/Down, Tilt, Spin, Roll. This seems to be a physical hardware solution to what you want..still not sure if there's a software solution.
    ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾Ľ̃̾)۶

Quote Originally Posted by SpiderX22 View Post
    I knew I'd done this before.

I pulled out my 3D Connection SpaceNavigator (6-axis mouse) that mysteriously happened to be where I didn't think I'd left it. It has a built in "Altitude" option that lets me do exactly as you want. The different axes: Pan Right/Left, Altitude, Pan Up/Down, Tilt, Spin, Roll. This seems to be a physical hardware solution to what you want..still not sure if there's a software solution.
    Yes, I have one too. But it would be very handy to be able to do it without that. (And you can never make the motion exactly vertical with no twisting or tilting as you pull upward. Or get a constant speed.)

My 'solution in principle' earlier has so far not produced a practical solution. Both Fly To and Tour don't move in a straight line. Some KML solution is needed. No replies so far from the KML Forum..

--
    Terry, UK