Thread: Streetview in GE 5

Default Streetview in GE 5

Did they change StreetView Google Earth 5.1? I'm using 5.1.3535.3218 and haven't changed versions since last week. Last week accessing StreetView was simple: I just selected the layer for it. Now when I look at layers...it's gone? It was there before, now it isn't? I can try fixing it be reinstalling 5.1 or installing 5.2 (not 6; the SV pegman bothers me), I'm just curious why it disappeared suddenly?

huh.JPG
    Last edited by SpiderX22; 01-16-2012 at 09:31 PM.
    ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾•̃̾)۶

Well I installed 5.2...and it's still gone?
    ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾•̃̾)۶

I still see it using 6.1.something. It works the same way it has for the past few versions. It's the same way Street View in Maps works, except that you have to zoom in far enough for the pegman to appear.

Chances are they changed it for your version too.
    Last edited by Munden; 01-17-2012 at 01:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Munden View Post
    I still see it using 6.1.something. It works the same way it has for the past few versions. It's the same way Street View in Maps works, except that you have to zoom in far enough for the pegman to appear.

Chances are they changed it for your version too.
    Starting with version 6, the way StreetView in GE was implemented changed. In version 5 StreetView was activated with a layer and you would see camera icons wherever StreetView was available (assuming you'd zoomed in enough). Starting with GE 6, they removed the layer and required you to drag pegman wherever you wanted SV to appear. I preferred the layer way and that's why I never updated to version 6. With the layer, it was super easy for picking out SV on specific areas and didn't require the extra step of dragging pegman everywhere.

Now I have version 5.2, freshly installed from Google and the SV layer is gone. I have Navigation set to show always, and even if I zoom to where I know SV images are, Pegman does not appear. I've used GE 6 so I know how it's supposed to work: SV is just entirely absent now from 5.1 and 5.2. Makes me wonder if this is their way of trying to get us to use the newest version. I doubt it, but I sure want SV back.

nppegmanorlayer.JPG
    ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾•̃̾)۶

Sounds like they might have simply disabled it for older versions then. It might be that they changed how they implemented it on the server, and left the old version up for a while but have now removed the old implementation.

Just a wild guess, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Munden View Post
    Sounds like they might have simply disabled it for older versions then. It might be that they changed how they implemented it on the server, and left the old version up for a while but have now removed the old implementation.

Just a wild guess, though.
    You're right.

I just discovered it has vanished from Layers. Checking the GE Forums, it's sadly been discontinued for v 5. So now I've been forced to upgrade to 6.1 this morning.

Apart from the fact that I will now have to change a bunch of macros tailored to v 5 (which is of course a problem of my own making), my biggest gripe (until I find another one!) is that I far preferred the v 5 Street View. In particular there was less distortion when moving the camera viewpoint. But also, I dislike that broad white navigation stripe running down the middle of the road. It ruins my screenshots. Does anyone know if it's possible to remove it somehow please?

--
    Terry, East Grinstead, UK

Quote Originally Posted by terrypin View Post

I just discovered it has vanished from Layers. Checking the GE Forums, it's sadly been discontinued for v 5. So now I've been forced to upgrade to 6.1 this morning.

--

Arghhh. I can't stand the way StreetView is done in GE6. I like to know where the SV images are available, rather than having to drag pegman everywhere. Guess I'll take a break from SV. Thanks for confirming though.
    ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾•̃̾)۶

Super Moderator

Formerly you could choose between The latest GE 6 and a GE 5 with the camera icon showing the camera where available when downloading. that's gone. Now they have the first GE 6 as other choice. Sad.

I also noticed during december more and more of these camera icons for Street View vanished from day to day. Finally all gone around new years eve.

Well, although I still prefer Street View in GE 5, in all fairness I must say that's a fair price to pay for a feature I've been requesting for years: Sort A-Z.

I'd previously invested big time in all sorts of macros and web tools to sort my large folders. None had been convenient or reliable. At last I can do it confidently with a click!

--

Well, although I still prefer Street View in GE 5, in all fairness I must say that's a fair price to pay for a feature I've been requesting for years: Sort A-Z.

I'd previously invested big time in all sorts of macros and web tools to sort my large folders. None had been convenient or reliable. At last I can do it confidently with a click!

--
    Wait..what? How?
    ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾•̃̾)۶

Quote Originally Posted by SpiderX22 View Post
    Wait..what? How?
    Maybe I should have spelt it out, sorry. I assumed it was obvious that I was continuing to refer to the latest version, 6.1. Otherwise, I'm not sure I follow your question(s)?

--

Maybe I should have spelt it out, sorry. I assumed it was obvious that I was continuing to refer to the latest version, 6.1. Otherwise, I'm not sure I follow your question(s)?

--
    I switched to version 6.1 as well, but I wasn't aware it had a way to alphabetize folders. I just found it -> right click and "Sort A-Z". That's super convenient. Before I always used http://www.nearby.org.uk/sort-kml.php

Now it just needs the ability to select multiple placemarks to make drag and drop easier.
    ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾•̃̾)۶