Thread: GE MyPlaces file questions

Default GE MyPlaces file questions

I've got some GE MyPlaces file questions:

One: GE seems like an incredibly clumsy place to edit KML files. One slip of the mouse, and an entire folder representing days of work is gone for good. Not only that, you can only cut and paste one placemark at a time. Organizing folders is also a pain. Is there an alternate way to do that?

Two: I have lost many many hours of work in GE, some my fault, but some inexplicably. I try to save MyPlaces every few minutes. Is there a backup routine that works when you exit in Windows 7?

Three, and most important: It seems from the above problems that GE isn't really supported and kept up by Google. Is there another program that would enable me to geographically arrange data in a geo-viewable format? GE is a cool program, but if it is unreliable, it's not much use.

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Geo Surveyor View Post
    One: GE seems like an incredibly clumsy place to edit KML files. One slip of the mouse, and an entire folder representing days of work is gone for good. Not only that, you can only cut and paste one placemark at a time. Organizing folders is also a pain. Is there an alternate way to do that?
    I agree that the interface of the GE application is so unforgiven on re-arranging foldes of placemarks, path, tracks, overlays and so on. I have lost days of work doing the wrong drop in a drag or delete without having prober file backup.

One alternative is to edit your files as text kml. Here you have advantages as easy and safe copy/paste like operations. Disadvantages are primary lack of the graphic 3d view and a pretty neerded xml properties setup of often edited placemarks.

Two: I have lost many many hours of work in GE, some my fault, but some inexplicably. I try to save MyPlaces every few minutes. Is there a backup routine that works when you exit in Windows 7?
    My thumb of rule is, when you have edited 5 to 10 rather simple or 2 to 4 complicated items, commit your work by saving the entire 'tour' aka 'myplaces'. PLEASE NOTE: I have seen on several occasions that when saving a folder (like 'myplaces'), IT IS NOT SAVED and the previous version is gone. This has been the case for all versions of GE I have worked with, and I actually suspect it more to be a combined Google Earth / Windows filesystem issue... Anyway; Verify that the file is on the drive BEFORE exiting GE. Consider nameing the save with a date like 'MyPlaces20120212a'. Then you can re-open previous backups in GE. And finally exit GE from time to time, once in a hour or three, to ensure that GE itself has it's cache written to disk with all updates in a consistent state.

Three, and most important: It seems from the above problems that GE isn't really supported and kept up by Google. Is there another program that would enable me to geographically arrange data in a geo-viewable format? GE is a cool program, but if it is unreliable, it's not much use.
    GE may not be the only program, but it has been one of the first and I forsee that it will keep on being one of the best and inovative ways to explore basically geography of the earth, but with continually adding new layes and info also being used for a lot of other great information and illustration.

Tom
    Last edited by T.Dooley; 02-12-2012 at 08:48 PM.
    Are you uptight, get downloose! Why not try a GE file - Also downloadable at GEC and http://ge.dooley.dk - Tom Kjeldsen