Thread: Google boycotts older GE versions ??

Exclamation "terrain" layer not working

edit: it doesn't seem to have anything to do with the version number after all ... after further testing, it seems that enabling "terrain" layer is the problem. It's a pitty that thread titles can't be changed (maybe an admin can?). thank you.

Hi folks. I have been using GE 4.1 for over 4 years now without any problems, most recently a few days ago. But today, when I started GE and tried to zoom any closer than 500 km altitude, the picture became increasingly blurred (despite indicating that 100% of the required image data is already downloaded). I checked my places in Europe (e.g. Paris), which I know have good resolution.

I first assumed, that the GE servers might be down. But google maps did work fine and I couldn't find any maintenance warning on the google web page, so I thought something else might be wrong. So I test-installed the current GE version 6.1 and oddly enough the locations I visited were not blurry but had the expected resolution. I cleared the GE disk and memory cache, but that didn't solve the problem.

Is this done on purpose by Google?
    Who could give that answer?
    Is there anything I could do to keep using my GE 4.1 ?

Many thanks.

UPDATE: I just discovered, that the issue is selective. Madrid, Lisbon and Rome are shown normally, but Berlin, Paris and Vienna are completely blurred (and I'm not talking about reasonable differences in resolution, but blurry as in "really-not-existing-on-the-map blurry"). I.e. it's not related to this: http://www.gearthhacks.com/forums/sh...igh-resolution... ... Khatmandu in 10 km altitude is just a uniformly gray area covering the whole screen.

UPDATE 2:
    ok, honestly, I have no clue anymore. When I tried GE 6.1 a few hours ago it seemed to run fine, but I just checked Khatmandu and Paris in GE 6.1 I get the same problem. Can anyone please check if you have the same problem? thanks so much.

UPDATE 3: culprit seems to be "terrain" (see below)
    Last edited by boarders paradise; 11-20-2011 at 02:17 PM.

I'm using 5.1 and all my imagery of the cities you gave loads fine. I doubt they discontinued version 4 though. Things I'd try:
    1. Check internet connection? Reset the router or disconnect for ~20 seconds then reconnect
    2. Restart computer
    3. Clear your GE cache: Tools -> Options -> Cache -> Clear Memory/Disk Cache
    4. Increase cache size

If none of that works, I'm not sure what will.
    ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾Ľ̃̾)۶

many thanks for your support. None of your suggestions worked for me.

However I was able to narrow down the issue in the meanwhile: It's "terrain". Without this layer, it works as it should, but with "terrain" enabled, I get the issue described in OP.

Paris without terrain:

Paris with terrain:

so ...
    ...what can I do ?
    Last edited by boarders paradise; 11-20-2011 at 03:04 AM.

This seems like a hard one to get a hold on. Of course there may be some issues from v4 to current v6. Especially 'terrain' has been 'builtin' between these version. This may be an issue.

In addition to the fine suggestions of Spider above, I could suggest that you delete (not only clear) your cache file.

Before all of these kind of actions always make sure that you have saved all of your 'my places' to disk etc. so you can import it again if anything goes not perfect. Just in case.

To delete your (and make a new) cache, open Google Earth. In File menu do a 'server log out'. The Tools menu, options, cache, 'Delete cache file'. Go back to file menu and do a 'server log in' or close GE and do a restart. If you're not logged in after restart, do a 'server log in' from the file menu.

Hope it works, Tom
    Are you uptight, get downloose! Why not try a GE file - Also downloadable at GEC and http://ge.dooley.dk - Tom Kjeldsen

thanks for your support

Quote Originally Posted by T.Dooley View Post
    This seems like a hard one to get a hold on.
    gee, yes that seems like an elusive one ...

Of course there may be some issues from v4 to current v6. Especially 'terrain' has been 'builtin' between these version. This may be an issue.
    I tried it with both versions and had the same problem (as already mentioned above, I think)

In addition to the fine suggestions of Spider above, I could suggest that you delete (not only clear) your cache file.
    have already tried that

What I should also mention is this:

When I disable "terrain", the resolution is tip-top! As soon as I enable terrain, it's blurry like in the screenshot above. Disabling "terrain" again brings back the correct resolution instantly. So I can kind of switch back and forth from/to the blurry vision (in both GE 4 and GE 6).... and that's very strange indeed. Because what GE should actually do is map the SAME image data, once on a sphere and once on a sphere+relief ... but the image data is the same, so if the image data is available and displayed correctly without terrain, there is absolutely no reason why "terrain" should degrade it like that.

I hate to say this since it's always a nuisance and may not work but have you tried reinstalling GE 4? I would install it on my computer right now and try it out myself, but I'm not on my own computer at them moment. I'll try it tomorrow to see if this is only on your end or on everybody's end.
    ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾Ľ̃̾)۶

thanks but

Quote Originally Posted by boarders paradise View Post
    in GE 6.1 I get the same problem.
    and this is a fresh new install, so I don't think re-installing GE 4 would make any sense.
    I'll retry later today to see if the problem persists.

At the time of writing (06:00 GMT) the problem is still there.

has anybody checked ?
    I can't get rid of this problem ...

I was going to figure it out for you, but accidentally spilled water all over my keyboard (it's a laptop) and now it's broken. Any luck with the fix? I remember reading that the last 2 versions of Google Earth are only officially supported (they don't provide download links to anything before 5.1).

Found it: A Google employee, Peter, said:
    As a general rule, we strongly encourage users to use either the most recent beta version, or the most recent non-beta version of Google Earth. We will continue to support older versions for at least a year, and after some time, much older versions will no longer work. This is the case with Google Earth 3.0-4.0.

As for your question about why we don't let users use any version they want, let me explain a bit about how Google Earth works. Unlike a typical application, Google Earth combines both client-side (the code that lives on your computer) and server-side (stuff running on our computers in the cloud) code. These two pieces need to work together in harmony. We also are constantly evolving and improving Google Earth - both in the quality and magnitude of the data, as well as the introduction of new features like historical imagery. Evolving the product often means making changes that require changes to both the client-side and server-side code. So as we do this, it becomes difficult and sometimes impossible to support older client software. So as we design new features and improve the product, we do so in a way that allow recent versions of Google Earth to continue to work, while sunsetting older versions after a reasonable period of time (1-2 yrs.)
    http://www.google.com/support/forum/...094268fb&hl=en

Seeing as the latest GE 4 version, 4.3 was released April 15, 2008, then GE 4 is no longer supported by Google. So of it's broken...it may never be fixable now that they don't care about it anymore.
    ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾Ľ̃̾)۶

Quote Originally Posted by boarders paradise View Post
    has anybody checked ?
    I can't get rid of this problem ...
    Well, i think this is very easy if someone shows an image or videos for this.