Thread: So stupid?

Kassel, Germany 51°19'3.83"N 9°28'32.10"E

Angry So stupid?

I submitted a file were several places are discribed in a foreign language:

You denied it, cause they are not in english/american.

Geographischer Südpol???

Is it so difficult for you to translate this into your/another language? Everyone is able to do this! For example:

Unzugänglich = inaccessible

Anspruch = Claim

Südpol = Southpol

Magnetisch = magnetic

bucht = bay

Pazifischer Ozean = Pacific

Land = land

Pol = pole

I used my primitive dictionary, so everybody who uses GE can do it, too. The users weren`t all from America were people are so incredible tolerant that they only prefer their own language. Whats up with users from arabian or asian countries? They had to learn our letters, foreign languages and so on. Shouldn`t we discribe every submission in their letters, just to do them a faviour?

I guess everybody (but the Americans) have a dictionary to translate a fiew words into other languages to use GEH. It`s not a problem to translate some single words; otherwise many users don`t have english discriptions in their overlays and no one complains about that, but the Americans.

Sad but true.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Now we are big brother...Keep on watching them

3lumi,

Every day dozens of files are checked by the moderators in their own spare time to make sure that they are correct, not offensive and not a duplicate of existing files. Additionally a screenshot is made to have the nice little picture for all to see. Despite their hard work we still have a backlog of files. Do you really suggest that they should be translating submissions as well?

The rules are simple and stated when you submit a file, if all did that the backlog could be smaller; so descriptions in English and ensure that the file has not been submitted before.

And don't make this about Americans either. A fair amount of the mods is not American and all agree with the policy as stated.

If we allow descriptions in any language it will become a mess. Most of us will recognize German and know what dictionary to use, but what about other languages? Whether you like it or not, English is the language understood by most of the users here and is the official language for this site. If you really only want to use your local language try to find a site like this in German or the language you prefer.
    Last edited by Stadsman; 08-25-2005 at 06:34 AM.

Stadsman

"Sponges grow in the ocean. That just kills me. I wonder how much deeper the ocean would be if that didn't happen."
    -- Steven Wright

I just checked the file - I'm from Australia, and can speak German.. and I would have denied it too..

The lesson of the day is; dont expect everything you upload to be approved

Thanks for wording that so articulately, Stadsman

T.

He's not saying to translate the image or something, he's suggesting you include his file and just let users translate it if they want on their own.

But he still sounds like a snot so good call on the response anyway. The mods do this on their free time so don't be rude. Also, you really shouldn't be complaining about the rules at an obviously english website. Go start your own in a different language if you ahve a problem. Why should we change? No one is stoppinf you from doing your own thing.

This thread is from 4 months ago, I dont think the user is around to read your reply But thanks for your support!

By the way, Welcome to GEH We hope you like it here

T.

I realized that after I posted. I was doing a search for the south pole and antarctica to see what came up and I saw this thread. I forgot to check how recent it was. I'm really bummed about that node thing at the south pole. I was all set to make an awesome overlay of Antarctica but that went all to hell...*sigh*

Yeah, me too.. I was there last NYE so I'd been doing research and had a couple of kickass images tha would make great overlays.. It sucks they wont work

Hopefully one of these days they Boys at Google will get us some high res goodness for Antarctica

T.

This is the image I wanted to use:

satellite image