Thread: Expert Overlay Placement

Hybrid View

Question Expert Overlay Placement

Hello Folks,

I am hoping someone here can help me with what appears to be a relatively simple task but one I want to get as accurate as possible.

In doing some genealogical research, I've discovered that one of my ancestors was killed in World War I. Through the use of documents I was given by the National Archives I am fairly confident that I can narrow down the spot where he was killed to within a 10-100 yard area. I have in my possession the "grave location blank" that showed the coordinates (on a specific map) of where he was originally buried (and I assume killed) and have recently been sent a copy of the relevant map (warning: large file).

Some friends who have been helping me with my research have done a pretty good job of stretching the map over the proper area in GE and nailing down the coordinates, but I wonder if there is anyone here who can get a close to exact match between the WWI map and the GE terrain.

Thanks for your time,
    Justin

PS: If anyone is willing to take on this task, please don't feel obligated to do the whole Verdun A map. The only section that is relevant to my interests is the top left square with the Bois du Chene Sec.

A very cool project you've thrown out here Justin. I'm hoping someone on this forum with more talents and skills than myself is able to assist you.

Hi Justin

Will not claim any talent etc. on aligning overlays. Still I took some minutes and then a few more... to try to adjust your entire overlay to the 'upper left' - hard to do, a big map... - I have added a smaller (specific/local) part of the image/map overlay (from original Verdun A map) of the 'Bois du Chene Sec' region. Both your original full map and the smaller north/west part are included in attached file.

Due to most likely a approx. 3MB size limits here at GEH I can not attach file in this forum. You can, for now, grap the file, all included, from my personal site here:
    http://ge.dooley.dk/Verdun A map - B... Chene Sec.kmz

Hope it helps you in your search.
    /Tom
    Last edited by T.Dooley; 05-21-2013 at 05:39 PM.
    Are you uptight, get downloose! Why not try a GE file - Also downloadable at GEC and http://ge.dooley.dk - Tom Kjeldsen