Thread: Structures near Syrian reactor site

Default Structures near Syrian reactor site

I've long had a macabre interest in the Syrian reactor site but there is little there to see. More interesting are the structures at and near :

35░42'0.60"N 39░53'20.83"E

The compound with the water tanks and the later constructed empty compound across the highway make me wonder if these structures, far from anywhere, are in any way connected to the nearby site;

35░42'27.54"N 39░50'1.03"E

which is alleged to be the destroyed nuclear reactor. Has anyone any views on what these two other compounds might be?

Also is this:

35░44'28.95"N 39░49'40.27"E

a disused airstrip connected to the activities in the area?

The imagery is from 29th Dec '12 so things may have changed since then but does anyone have any opinions on these structures?

Default Structures near Syrian reactor site

There has been an image update to 14th Jan '13. Not much change is apparent to any of the sites I mention but if viewed with south at the top of the screen you get a better perspective view. I would have appreciated comments from anyone understanding nuclear waste storage. I know that some radio active components are stored in water pools to limit radiation. I do realise that these could be expected to be under cover, so perhaps this site is innocent, but if so, what on earth is it so far from anything in a desert? Anyone got any ideas?

Default Dm

See 35░41'0.47"N 39░50'14.40"E

Is this some form of identifying mark made in the earth to be seen from above. If so, who made it and why? Or has it a more simple explanation? Depending on which way you look at it it reads DM in English or a semi circle followed by the Hebrew letter S or Sh.

This feature has nothing to do with the raid on the reactor as it only appeared after Sept '12 and before Jan '13. It may be totally innocent and have a genuine innocent reason for being there.

As I said in my opening post. I've got a fixation about this area and it's recent military history.
    Last edited by Tatsfield; 05-15-2014 at 03:06 PM.

Default Suyrian reactor site historical time line

If you look at the containment building on the site of the Syrian nuclear reactor, 35.42.28.00 N 39.49.59.00 E, and bring up the historical time line, 09/29/2012 shows the structure whole, 12/29/2012 shows it with about a fifth of the roof removed and scattered around the perimeter of the structure and yet within two weeks at 14/01/2013 the building is whole again. Anyone got any comments as to what happened between Sept 2012 and Jan 2013, or if anything really happened and whether it's related to the feature in my previous posting "DM"?
    Last edited by Tatsfield; 08-14-2014 at 02:15 PM.

Default Time line has changed again

I suspect that this is nothing to do with what is physically on the site but some way in which the time line function was working. The latest image is dated 7/11/13 which is in the strange USA protocol of MM/DD/YY unlike the rest of the world's more logical DD/MM/YY. So the final date in the time line is 11th July 2013 with a destroyed covering building which is last seem whole on 14th January 2013. So now there is no anomaly in the building being whole again after it is seen to be seriously damaged.

There are reports that the Free Syrian Army opposition forces had captured the site because after the destruction of the reactor, it was being used as a military storage depot, an objective which would have been important to their logistics. The building may have suffered the damage during that attack. The only thing that the damage to the building does show is that it is an insubstantial construction compared to the concrete structure which was previously seen and attacked by the Israelis. Quick and cheap to erect over the original building remains. I wonder what has happened in the following year. Islamic State have occupied nearby Al Tebni, so they may have pushed on and taken over this site too.

Default It's probably a water treatment plant

Quote Originally Posted by Tatsfield View Post
    There has been an image update to 14th Jan '13. Not much change is apparent to any of the sites I mention but if viewed with south at the top of the screen you get a better perspective view. I would have appreciated comments from anyone understanding nuclear waste storage. I know that some radio active components are stored in water pools to limit radiation. I do realise that these could be expected to be under cover, so perhaps this site is innocent, but if so, what on earth is it so far from anything in a desert? Anyone got any ideas?
    Had a suggestion on another forum that this site with water pools could be a water treatment site. It seems to have a pipeline running from it to the old reactor site so this is very likely to be the answer. A reactor would have needed large amounts of clean water which would be easy to pump from the treatment site to the reactor so that the treatment site would not have to be close to the reactor. That would have reduced the concentration of buildings at the reactor site. Somewhere there would have to be a take up point in the river to bring in water. Perhaps the pump house near the reactor sends water to the treatment site and then it comes back along pipes in the same trench. Likely hood is that it's now inoperative so far as the reactor site is concerned. Whether local residents benefit from it as well is another matter.