Thread: Where was the "Bliss" Windows XP Wallpaper photo taken

Default Where was the "Bliss" Windows XP Wallpaper photo taken

From a bit of searching I've found out that the rolling green hill so familiar to all after installing WinXP is supposedly in the Napa area not far from San Francisco California. Can anyone identify the spot exactly?
    This quote from SR.com refers : -

"That screen-filling photo of a green, rolling hill that greets users of Windows XP sure looks familiar.
    "Palouse?" a reader asked in an e-mail to The Slice.
    Nope. Not quite.
    "The `Bliss' image was actually taken outside Napa, Calif.," said Microsoft's Brian Peterson. "It was chosen because it illustrates the experiences Microsoft strives to provide customers (freedom, possibility, calmness, warmth, etc.)."

That's a good one. I'm also interested.
    -Steeefan

Make that 3 of us!.. by the colour of the sky and the look of it, i would emagine its the english / european countryside.. America doesnt have vast open green fields like that :P

T.

Default Here's a New Zealand Version

From Microsoft NZ:

Thanks to Jeroen Jordens in Oamaru for submitting this image - our own local version of the 'Bliss' desktop background that ships with Windows XP!

Jeroen, a Technical Engineer with Morcomm Systems (a Microsoft reseller) in Oamaru, says the image was taken by an international tourist travelling around New Zealand. It was taken near Oamaru in the North Otago region of New Zealand and, although the tourist just had an interest in the beauty of the image, or perhaps the sheep, the Morcomm team recognised the close similarity to the Windows XP Bliss image.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Yeah, that looks very similar.
    -Steeefan

"The `Bliss' image was actually taken outside Napa, California" said Microsoft's Brian Peterson. "It was chosen because it illustrates the experiences Microsoft strives to provide customers (freedom, possibility, calmness, warmth, etc.)."

- More here

I imagine it was taken in the hills to the north-west of the city.

T.

Default Barbed wire

>It was chosen because it illustrates the experiences Microsoft strives to provide customers.

What 'experience' exactly? Like the crappy amateurish cloning job in the lower left hand corner that looks like barbed wire? I am half expecting land mines to go off when I look at this picture. I love it the way Microsoft tries to spin everything into some 'great customer experience'. What a bunch of BS!

It's probably taken where they say it was.
    But the sky is from another place, the details have been cloned out of the grass and the image has been worked on to make it just right.
    The sky has been cloned up too, like when did you last see a Californy sky without con trails in it (Apart from the 3 days after 9/11)

It's just a bad photo retouching job, definitely poor quality. It would have been much better if they had cropped the lower edge above the road and added more sky. I've noticed they reworked it in Vista.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Steeefan View Post
    Yeah, that looks very similar.
    well its not THAT familier xp's version doesnt have sheep scattered around, and the hislla are overlapping is some parts, this is just one graet big hill ! But i can see whree your coming from though, the vibe its giving out !

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by dbennett455 View Post
    > I love it the way Microsoft tries to spin everything into some 'great customer experience'. What a bunch of BS!

haha you got that right, it took them 4 months for them to send me a cpu chip, and the worst thing is they had 20 in stock, and even their warehouse is littereally 40 meters from my house ! how the hell did it take 4 months exactly ! Custemer experience hah !

Default Windows Bliss site in Google Maps Streetview

Here is "Windows Bliss Hill":

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sour...91071765431019

Default 'bliss hill'

locally known as Knob Hill - really !