Thread: Hurricane Katrina

Default Hurricane Katrina

OK - how does one make a real time overlay? I have tried everything I can to put this image - http://www.ssd.noaa.gov/PS/TROP/DATA...-vis-loop.html into an overlay in GEarth. I have crashed GEarth four times, and crashed Firefox once.

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by Appletom
    OK - how does one make a real time overlay? I have tried everything I can to put this image - http://www.ssd.noaa.gov/PS/TROP/DATA...-vis-loop.html into an overlay in GEarth. I have crashed GEarth four times, and crashed Firefox once.
    Can't be done with this image. It's actually not an image but a javascript. Besides even if it were an animated gif, GE would only show the first frame.

The best way I have found to check storm activity is with this set of overlays (also a shameless self promotion )

Stadsman

"Sponges grow in the ocean. That just kills me. I wonder how much deeper the ocean would be if that didn't happen."
    -- Steven Wright

As far as I know you cant get animations to play in GE anyway

The best you can do is use an updating image & set a refresh time...

I know this isnt exactly what you're looking for, but its as close as i could get.. Image refreshed every 20 mins, though i dont know how often the CMISS updates them

T.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Katrina looks like serious trouble

Stadsman

"Sponges grow in the ocean. That just kills me. I wonder how much deeper the ocean would be if that didn't happen."
    -- Steven Wright

Yeah, good luck over there!

Martin, Germany

I think I have learned how to make a web based overlay! Thank you araT and Stadsman - I dissected your files to figure out how it works. These things are a bear to line up properly.

Katrina is an ugly monster. When I went to bed last night, Katrina was a Category 3 and they were saying it might become a Category 4 by the time it makes landfall tomorrow. Well, when I woke up this morning, Katrina was already a Category 5!
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Appletom; 08-28-2005 at 01:10 PM.

Glad I could be of use, Appletom!
    I'm just glad you are safely out of harms way!

T.

Quote Originally Posted by araT
    I'm just glad you are safely out of harms way! T.
    Me too. There was an article in Time magazine three~four months ago about disasters. I remember reading that the worst possible natural disaster in this day and age would be a Cat5 hitting New Orleans head on - it could create more damage than an 8.5 earthquake in California.

I guess we will see this train wreck tonight/tomorrow morning. Here's what two people (who know hurricanes pretty well) have to say (quotes taken from news.aol.com)

Chris Sisko, a meteorologist at the hurricane center, said "With [New Orleans] sitting well below sea level, this is a potential set up for a catastrophic event that has never been seen before."
    "I've been here 33 years, and we've always been concerned about New Orleans," National Hurricane Center director Max Mayfield said before Katrina reached Category 5. "I had to let the mayor know that this storm has the potential not only to cause large property damage, but large loss of life if people don't make the right decision."
    Last edited by Appletom; 08-28-2005 at 01:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Appletom
    I think I have learned how to make a web based overlay! Thank you araT and Stadsman - I dissected your files to figure out how it works. These things are a bear to line up properly.
    I just posted this file to the site, with credit given to you of course.