Thread: New Orleans Flood Overlays discussion

Default New Orleans Flood Overlays discussion

This is a discussion thread for the following file:

New Orleans Flood Overlays

Overlays showing various parts of New Orleans and the flood damage from Hurricane Katrina. We hope to update this file as new photos are available.

If you have images to add, please either post them in this thread, or edit the file (and add your new images) and post the updated file here.

Us admins will try to keep the main file updated with the latest photos as they become available.

Do your best to only use photos that are as close to vertical as possible. While some of the angled photos are useful for other means, this file is intended to show as much of the flooded areas of New Orleans as possible, to help people see the current state of their home.

This is broken. No image found.

Default Broken image

In particular, the I-10 picture is broken, but the other two are just fine.

I had wondered why nobody was doing this for google earth. Thanks for doing it.

-kat

Default NO floods image

GE cannot open a .bmp file.

How can I see this image, thanks

I've updated the file with just the two levee breaks and removed the I-10 image.

If I can find the original again, I'll convert it to a jpg and add it back in there.

The other two are pulling up correctly for you, yes?

Updated again. Now it has a wide shot of downtown in with it. The shot is somewhat angled, so it doesn't line up perfectly, but it does pretty well.

Default Gulfport???

This is amazing. Has anyone seen or heard of anyone working on an image of GulfPort?

We are now encouraging people use reference the entire Hurricane Katrina and flooding section, rather than just this file, as we have various types of files being submitted in there.

If you have a new file to submit, please send it in using our normal file submission process.

If you have an update for an existing file, please post it in this thread and we will update the file on the site.

Thanks,
    Mickey

These are high res arial photos of the area, no funky angles... clicking a box brings you to another page where you can pick a final box that coveres an area, clicking that brings you to the high res image, you can add these to google earth easly.

Remember, the boxes are smaller than the area in the image, and some images may take a while to load.

http://ngs.woc.noaa.gov/katrina/KATRINA0000.HTM

I found Gulfport, MS images here. These areas are also covered:

Bay St Louis, Mississippi, Gulfport, Mississippi, Ocean Springs, Mississippi, Pascagoula, Mississippi and Middle Bay, Mississippi.

http://ngs.woc.noaa.gov/katrina/

Its 168 MB download just for Gulfport. The files are all jpegs. I am not sure how the files are named. I found the area I was looking for in this zip file. Some amazing pictures of the aftermath.

Quote Originally Posted by RKrupski
    These are high res arial photos of the area, no funky angles... clicking a box brings you to another page where you can pick a final box that coveres an area, clicking that brings you to the high res image, you can add these to google earth easly.

Remember, the boxes are smaller than the area in the image, and some images may take a while to load.

http://ngs.woc.noaa.gov/katrina/KATRINA0000.HTM
    There are more images on the noaa server then what is shown on the index page. for example: http://ngs.woc.noaa.gov/storms/katrina/24429365.jpg
    You just have to figure out the numbers of the .jpg files. I've attached an overlay of the New Orleans CBD made with these pictures
    Attached Files Attached Files

Has anybody put together a .kmz file that has all the overlays? I've had multiple people ask me to help them find out the status of their homes, and I think it would be a great tool to give to the public if we can all work together to provide it.

Another question regarding the NOAA imagery...is there any way to determine the geographic location the image is centered at?