Thread: Smaller cities in 3D

Default Smaller cities in 3D

I was finally able to upgrade to Google Earth Plus today (they had disabled the upgrades for a little while), so I've started building some extra 3D buildings. I started with my home town of Marietta, GA. I only did about 20 buildings or so, but it's enough that you can get an idea of what we can do with it.

If you have GE Plus, feel free to start "building" your town and then submit it to our file archive. Over time, as people build more and more small towns (and other people tweak them to make them better), this could turn into a noteworthy collection.

Thoughts?

Mickey,

I have GE Plus and would love to create some custom 3D buildings. How do you do it? I did a quick search of this site and the GE help and did not turn up anything.

Thanks.

-Rick

In the "Add" menu on your screen, you can choose "Polygon". That will open in a window where you can enter details, as well as turn your mouse into a tool that puts dots on the map. Put in four dots, and you have a square! Get fancier if you want.

In the "Edit Polygon" box that popped up, click the "Advanced" checkbox at the bottom. That will open up more options. On the first tab ("Style"), you can choose colors and stuff. On the next tab ("Location"), you can turn the flat polygon into a 3D building. Choose "Relative to ground" in the "Altitudes box". Then check the box for "Extrude Vertically". Finally, choose a height and put the number it the Altitude box. For that, I use 5 for gas stations, 8 for strip malls, stuff like that.

Finally, put all of your new polygons in a folder, then you can save the folder and upload it to the site. If you haven't yet, download one of the other "Smaller cities" we have on here and check it out.

Thanks Mickey, I'll give it a shot.

-Rick

any idea how long until GE works for macs?
    -Clark

Quote Originally Posted by clarkt
    any idea how long until GE works for macs?
    I don't believe Google has said a specific date, just "they're working on it". I'll post more info if I find out.

wow -- !

So, is there a way to import models from other sources (Maya or 3dsMax) instead of having to build it poly by poly in Google?

Quote Originally Posted by alz
    So, is there a way to import models from other sources (Maya or 3dsMax) instead of having to build it poly by poly in Google?
    Not yet. However, Google has some need polygon tools "coming soon". It's rumored that functionality like that might be included.

Default Polygon dreams

Well, if they do it'll be really usefull. I've got tons sites that I can add in and show my bridges.