Thread: Problem uploading overlays.

Default Problem uploading overlays.

I have recently tried to upload a couple of overlays and they have been denied. The reason given is something like; "Corrupted or empty pictures".

I have uploaded some other overlays and they have been approved. As far as I can tell I do the same thing when creating and uploading all the files (both the denied and the approved) and they work fine on my own computer.

So what I am wondering is; Has this got something to do with file size? Some of the rejected overlays have been rather large (2 MB +). I have used jpeg-files and they should be in order.

Please, if anyone could help, I would be grateful. There are a million and one really interesting overlays that could be made, if I could get it to bloody work!
    Geography spreads all over the world. STOP GEOGRAPHY NOW!

Jens, as I wasnt the one who denied them I cant be sure, But it may have been problems with the page that was hosting the image when the admin went to approve them.. all I can suggest is that you save them again, check them and then upload them again.. if they get denied again please give us specific details... though I will try to do them myself if I happen to be around when you upload them so I can see exactly what is going wrong

T.

Thanks for the help araT. I think I can read form your reply, that I am supposed to link the overlay directly to the ULR of the image. Perhaps the problem comes from my attempt to upload the overlay picture from my own HD.

I have tried to upload one of the overlays with a direct ULR to the picture where I originally found it on the internet and that seems to work. But I would much prefer to do it the other way. I mean: Will the overlay not cease to work if the ULR goes rotten at some point in the future?

Well, never mind. I think I will just try some more stuff and see what happens. And again: Thanks for the help, it did give me a clue to resolve the problem.
    Geography spreads all over the world. STOP GEOGRAPHY NOW!

Default Little help?

Hey,
    Could you give me a hint as to how to upload an overlay that contains the image in the .kmz file? I have two nice high-res overlays and i could put the images on my web space but i'd prefer that people download the file to their own computers. Is that even possible?

Thanks

edit -- I submitted the two files, of the Jackson Hole ski resort and Upheaval Dome crater in Canyonlands Nat'l Park and they got denies saying that you were unable to open the files. Could you perhaps track them down and see what exactly the problem was, i.e. if the files didn't upload completely, if they were corrupt, etc.?
    Last edited by BigKuba; 12-18-2005 at 02:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by BigKuba
    I submitted the two files, of the Jackson Hole ski resort and Upheaval Dome crater in Canyonlands Nat'l Park and they got denies saying that you were unable to open the files. Could you perhaps track them down and see what exactly the problem was, i.e. if the files didn't upload completely, if they were corrupt, etc.?
    They are php files, not kmz or kml files. Right click on the placemark in GEarth, and choose 'save as' - you will get a kmz or kml file then!

Super Moderator Captain Hornblower's Avatar

I would like to add, that the whole file must be smaller than 2.5 MB...

Software is like entropy. It is difficult to grasp, weighs nothing, and obeys the second law of thermodynamics; i.e., it always increases.
    Norman R. Augustine

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Hornblower
    I would like to add, that the whole file must be smaller than 2.5 MB...
    Ha. That could have been it then, they were definitely bigger than that. I'll decrease the resolution/quality of the jpegs and will resubmit.

Quote Originally Posted by Appletom
    They are php files, not kmz or kml files. Right click on the placemark in GEarth, and choose 'save as' - you will get a kmz or kml file then!
    Yep, did that. They show up as .kml or .kmz files on my computer. I even tried deleting the image I have on my machine and loading the saved placemark/overlay that I "saved as" and it worked fine. Maybe something got messed up during the uploading. Anyway, I'll try again.
    Thanks.

By the way, I posted both overlays on the the official Google Earth board and they seem to work fine, maybe you could get them from there and include them on your site as well?

http://bbs.keyhole.com/ubb/download.php?Number=225671

http://bbs.keyhole.com/ubb/download.php?Number=233020

Let me know if you're having trouble viewing these.

>bump<

Can someone please help me get these overlays on the downloads section of this site?

Thanks.