Thread: Lake Ponchartrain flooded amusement park discussion

Default Lake Ponchartrain flooded amusement park discussion

This is a discussion thread for the following file:

Lake Ponchartrain flooded amusement park

Northeast of New Orleans, flooding takes out tourist industry.

Default This is Six Flags New Orleans..

http://www.sixflags.com/parks/neworleans/index.asp

closest place to use the season pass seems to be
    Six Flags over Texas.. there is a Six Flags water park
    in Texas but I don't think anyone would want to go there..

http://www.sixflags.com/parks/neworleans/pdf/map.pdf
    map of the park..

This is really Funny.

I am from New Orleans and I can tell you.. no one shed a tear for this six flags.

Did the restoration project take long? Did it cost the government lots of money to repair from hurricane flooding damage?

You would think a major popular theme park getting destroyed would be big news.. but it wasn't even a blip on the radar...Why, I'll tell you.

This six flags operated for perhaps 2 years. then was abandoned by six flags. It was inoperative way long before this picture was taken. Last I remember hearing, the City of New Orleans was still trying to get six flags to pay up money from this project that they still owed the City, years after the park was closed down!

One day out of the blue, six flags just announced it was closing the park and it has just been sitting here for years and years rotting away.

I can tell you, and I'm no racist, why this happened. Six flags chose this site to build on. This area is farthest away from New Orleans proper, on the far side of New Orleans East; a poor black area of the city with skyrocketing crime and violence.

As you can see in the picture, there is nothing around the other side of six flags for miles but highway. People just did not feel comfortable going into that area.. even for six flags.

Due to the closeness of this bad area, there were a lot of criminal element in and around six flags that would lie in wait to rob from the people who went to see the attractions. Ticket sales were never good.

I blame greed. If six flags hadn't been in such a hurry to make a buck, perhaps their demographic studies of the area would have prompted them to put the site someplace else and New Orleans would still have a six flags.

This is the statement from the above six flags website.

"Looking for Six Flags New Orleans?
    Six Flags is still in the process of settling claims with its insurers due to substantial damage caused by Hurricane Katrina. As a result, Six Flags New Orleans will remain closed at this time. We know that it is still a difficult time for the residents of New Orleans, and we remain committed to working with the city in support of the recovery efforts."

This is an out right lie. Ask anyone from New Orleans and they will tell you the park was closed and abandoned long before hurricane Katrina. There is no process to ever reopen this park and never was. This is just propaganda form six flags to cover up the truth so they won't look like the bad guy and hurt their reputation.
    Last edited by JohnPhoenix; 04-15-2009 at 02:44 AM.