Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The issue of real money

Default The issue of real money

Geos aside, I'm looking for suggestions as to how this game could generate a little bit of real cash. I'm not looking to become a millionaire (although I wouldn't mind... ), but I'm already looking at needing another server to help support the game if it keeps growing at it's current rate.

A few thoughts I have already:

- Not based on donations. While that would help, I'd hate to be constantly begging for money.
    - No required fee. That would essentially kill the game. It's fun, but I doubt many people would pay to play.
    - Ads wouldn't really work. The ads on the main GEH site help a bit, but they wouldn't work too well in GEwar. For one thing, I'll be pushing more and more toward a GE only interface (no web required). Also, banner ads don't do well on online games, due to the very high pageview/visitor ratio.

So what's that leave? I'm not sure. I'd love to develop something where people would want to pay a small fee ($5/month? $20/year?) to play, but people wouldn't be forced to pay.

We've got time to work this out, but I'm just trying to look toward the future and I can't quite see it...

How about a "premium" service of some sort? Features you can only access if you're a subscriber? I don't know, maybe more natural resources (3 each at any given time for a non-subscriber, for example)?

Well, you know what I say -- include real-world data in the game.

Players who pay would have genuine advantages in the game.

;-)

Seriously. If you make the price for playing within most people's reach -- well, bone up on your Laffer curve economics. ;-)

How about something like this -- payers would lack these restrictions which would be in place on noobs:

- no nukes, ever (no matter how successful you are as a noob, you'll never be able to possess that strategic deterent)
    - a limit on jewels per day (ah, there's the rub)

And that's it.

The idea wouldn't be to be draconian, it would be to just gently get folks to consider that your reasonable subscription fee would be well worth it.

But dude, you have to scale. Among other things, I suggest you urge various authoritative information banks to not only geotag, but offer km* and web services you can exploit to help you scale things like your city enumeration. You can't add cities manually. Indeed, in an ideal world all the cities in the world would be there, and people could pick Podunk IA if they wanted to. It'd have to be a source of such information that includes data you'd want concerning the town. It'd sure be nice if the Wiki were fully cool in this regard, already.

Well, good luck. I don't think I'll have time to be a serious player A.B. (after beta), but I'd still chip in for a subscription, I think. Just remember the Laffer curve. It's your friend for this kind of thing. ;-)

P.S. -- my thought is this -- just as the free version of Earth makes it possible for anyone to enjoy the predominant, cool aspects of it without paying, I think your game should afford people that option as well, but the combination of merely irritating restrictions and low entry price point would inspire little more than a shrug as they pointed their mouse toward the Paypal button.

Quote Originally Posted by rasqual
    Well, you know what I say -- include real-world data in the game.

Players who pay would have genuine advantages in the game.
    I had been shying away from that, but maybe it's the way to go.

Seriously. If you make the price for playing within most people's reach -- well, bone up on your Laffer curve economics.
    Ugh...

How about something like this -- payers would lack these restrictions which would be in place on noobs:

- no nukes, ever (no matter how successful you are as a noob, you'll never be able to possess that strategic deterent)
    - a limit on jewels per day (ah, there's the rub)

And that's it.
    Interesting thoughts. Maybe it really is that simple...

But dude, you have to scale. Among other things, I suggest you urge various authoritative information banks to not only geotag, but offer km* and web services you can exploit to help you scale things like your city enumeration. You can't add cities manually. Indeed, in an ideal world all the cities in the world would be there, and people could pick Podunk IA if they wanted to. It'd have to be a source of such information that includes data you'd want concerning the town. It'd sure be nice if the Wiki were fully cool in this regard, already.
    Agreed on all points.

Well, good luck. I don't think I'll have time to be a serious player A.B. (after beta), but I'd still chip in for a subscription, I think.
    At least stick around through beta, as you offer a viewpoint no one else can offer.

just as the free version of Earth makes it possible for anyone to enjoy the predominant, cool aspects of it without paying, I think your game should afford people that option as well, but the combination of merely irritating restrictions and low entry price point would inspire little more than a shrug as they pointed their mouse toward the Paypal button.
    That's exactly what I want to do. Finding the options and price point might be a little tricky, but it'll all work out.

First thing I need to do is get back to work on the game itself so that it might eventually come out of beta someday.

bone up on your Laffer curve economics. ;-)
    I think it's more a matter of price elasticity. And I sure wouldn't want to have to figure out how to calculate that for this kind of demographic spread. Best guess, Mickey!

Ooh, I just had a thought! What about a corporate sponsorship? Instead of Geos, people pay with McGeos and collect Mobil Oil, Cotton The Fabric of our Lives and DeBeers Diamonds.

Brisbane, Queensland, Australia (27░22'34.69"S, 152░59'18.54"E)

Quote Originally Posted by birq
    Ooh, I just had a thought! What about a corporate sponsorship? Instead of Geos, people pay with McGeos and collect Mobil Oil, Cotton The Fabric of our Lives and DeBeers Diamonds.
    Sponsors, I like that idea. I am willing to contribute though.

Quote Originally Posted by birq
    LOL!

Product placement, too. You zoom in on SE Minnesota to nail a jewel, and a placemark icon mysteriously redolent of SPAM looms in the periphery of your field of vision. Ah! Hormel! ;-)

Thumbs up

Paying for priviliges...thats not bad.
    Either way, count me in. As we are all playing there's no sense in letting Mickey pay for us all.

Default PAY or NOT

Mickey you have the basic game and it should remain free. This point attracts new players.

The extras should come at a price. Such as the upcoming additions you speak of. It would play like a hosted web site and sub domain name. People pay for the right to move from a sub to full owner ship of a web site. This has been a money maker for years or it wouldnt be happening.

You could also ask for donations (shares) to support your server needs. When the needs are met then the shares would stop. Hey I would like to have part of this game. This game is only going to grow and I would like to be part of something big besides this **** war in Afghanisan.

Thirty day free trial. I think players would be hooked, maybe not all but I think the members would grow and grow and grow. Look how fast it has grown. I can see it now. Does Yahoo ring a bell?

I think shares are the answer for your server issues at this time.
    Last edited by anthonywitt; 09-14-2005 at 01:26 PM.

as you do these,google company will ask you to paid them

In my opinion ,mickey can sell the geos, example, $20 = 2000geos...(or $20=500geos)
    and these do not affect other free players . Someone ,like war_peace ,can paid $200 or $2000 to Mickey ,and then bought 100,000000troops to attack all of other players, send to every city...

Quote Originally Posted by partin
    In my opinion ,mickey can sell the geos, example, $20 = 2000geos...(or $20=500geos)
    I'd rather pay just to help or pay for extra priviliges then pay for Geo's.
    I can find those myself.
    500Geo's is easy within an hour.

Default Pay For Geos?

Geos should never be bought. Hunting Geos keeps the game with in the realm of fairness. Pay an annual few for the privlage of being able to but the whistles and bells of warfair such as tanks, missles, mortors or whatever else Mikey comes up with. The fee should allow you to buy but you would still hunt jewels for the resorces to purchase game peices. Well...?

Yes, but not time after time again...or players who are willing to pay but don't have the money some have, would always be in the disadvantage.
    Make it a 6 month period orso where the ones that pay just have a little advantage over the ones that don't.
    That way it will be more fun for the players who pay, but the ones that don't can still have fun here.
    After all, the paying part should be an honorary thing too. Place the name 'donor' (:P) or something between tags after their name.