Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The issue of real money

Quote Originally Posted by partin
    as you do these,google company will ask you to paid them
    Google is making a good bit off the ads on the main site, I'm sure.

Place the name 'donor' or something between tags after their name.
    I was thinking about that - should it be private or public information? If it's public, it might make you more of a target. Still, I would want to reward people who contribute so I don't know...

vBulletin (this message board software) has some great built-in tools for handling subscriptions through PayPal. The way I'd like to do it is create a special usergroup on the boards ("paid gewar players" or something) which vBulletin will assign to you if you've paid. Then, in the game, I can simply check to see if you're a member of that group or not and allow certain privledges if you are.

Again, this is some distance away, but I appreicate all of the input so far.

I think the honorary system outwages the things you get in return.
    I would make it public.
    Maybe you can make the home base of paid users a little higher or impossible to attack. That should give users that little push too pay.

And ofcourse...a paid users account is never deleted, not even if he goes away for 2 months. But that would be natural ofcourse.

Mickey,

I think there are several really good points in this thread. I think most sites are supported financially one of three ways, donations, subscriptions or advertising. My opinion is the site should be kept free with the option for premium subscription services (something that could be determined later - there were some good ideas posted already). I also think that the game should be limited in the maximum number of players, however. By doing this you somewhat limit the amount of server space that you will need. And, if the ads thing doesnt sound appealing I'd always let people donate freely if they so desired. The game has been a blast so far and watching it develop has been fun. I'd like to see it stay around.

p.s. The way Stanley scripts I think you ought to enlist his services to help you make some of the changes/updates you are wanting. On the other hand, sleep deprivation could make for some interesting coding later on...

One other thought I just had is maybe to charge for certain upgrades:

- Want to be able to get nukes? $3
    - Want your armies to travel 20% faster? $5
    - etc.

Or would it be better to charge a single fee for all of the upgrades?

Steps from 5dollar-10dollar-15dollar and 20dollar to have it all?
    Don't know about the rest but I would pay the maximum.
    How about for the 20dollar you would get to make goldmines?
    And ofcourse the nukes, faster armies...and a nice future idea?

Default No discrimination!...

You want to make money out of this. It is surely understandable. But, don't make people pay you. Since this thing is getting biger now, this site's traffic will also grow. !ADVERTISEMENT! Do this...

Pay money to play the game? NO!...

"Play it like it's hot" by paying more!!? A BIGGER NO!...

ADVERTISEMENTS: BANNERS for those URLs:

http://www.googleearthhacks.com (must have) - http://www.gewar.com (optional)

Don't agree. The more capacity it takes, the more Mickey pays for the server.
    Why not join in on the costs.
    Another option could be that it will be too expensive for Mickey and the game dissapears or evolves much slower.
    Six months fee of 20 dollar is very low.
    Or start by 5 to 10 dollars.
    Just for a few extra posibilities like the nukes, faster armies and other things named here.

And other players should still be able to play for free. Just not with all the advantages. It should be an honorary thing to pay, but they should get a little advantage for it.
    Just to help with the game. And by putting in public 'donor' behind their name would be a nice way of thanking them for it.
    I'm seeing it as something that is needed. I have a few websites myself and I know how difficult it is by earning any money back through banners and other advertisement.
    Just won't work.

Quote Originally Posted by War_Peace
    ADVERTISEMENTS: BANNERS for those URLs:

http://www.googleearthhacks.com (must have) - http://www.gewar.com (optional)
    I agree that would be the best move. However, read my first post for reasons why it's really not feasible with the game.

I have read all of this thread...

Just don't make people pay, make "bigger guys" pay. Corporate guys...

And that "Pay More, Play More" thing makes me sick...

Thumbs down

I have read all of this thread...

Just don't make people pay, make "bigger guys" pay. Corporate guys...

And that "Pay More, Play More" thing makes me sick...
    So, we should go charge Walmart for our game expenses? Yeesh, if you get the benefits, why should someone else pay for your playtime?
    New, the Unofficial Site of GEwar. A trashtalk forum for all players. Check it out:
    http://www.gewarriors.com

Now with GAMES, so even if you can't be the best at GEWar, maybe you can set some highscores.

Just don't make people pay
    We won't make anyone pay. I promise there will be a free way to play.

I'd love it if we could just do ads and keep everything free. Heck, a giant "BestBuy.com" image overlay across Canada would be pretty cool. I'm just not sure it's feasible to do something like that unless we have > 100,000 active players. To get that large, we'll need some servers well beforehand...

I'm willing to become a donor anyway. Advantages or no advantages.
    And I think there are more like me.
    I just think putting a little advantage for them makes a statement like: thank you, here's your receipt.

Quote Originally Posted by Mickey
    We won't make anyone pay. I promise there will be a free way to play.

I'd love it if we could just do ads and keep everything free. Heck, a giant "BestBuy.com" image overlay across Canada would be pretty cool. I'm just not sure it's feasible to do something like that unless we have > 100,000 active players. To get that large, we'll need some servers well beforehand...
    I am talking about taking adverts to the www.googleearthhacks.com page not the game... That comes later and would be cool...

But again: "Pay More, Play More" => NO!...

But again: "Pay More, Play More" => NO!...
    I'm not understanding you here.

Are you saying if people pay money for the game, they shouldn't get any advantages? I'm a HUGE fan of Premium service games, here are two to model on if that's your idea:

http://www.konoblemen.net/

http://www.urbansquall.com/

Granted, I've been affiliated with both those games in some way/shape/form, but they're AWESOME, and make enough money to pay for their servers.

Mickey, if you want the ICQ# of an admin on either site, I can get that to you.

-Stan

Quote Originally Posted by Stanley
    Are you saying if people pay money for the game, they shouldn't get any advantages?
    Then, do not make them pay!! Make Walmart pay...