Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The issue of real money

Nobody has to pay but those willing to because they want to help out in the costs of the server and the time it takes Mickey programming, should perhaps get a little advantage.

I heard everybody write here about making it tough to get nukes.
    Well...becoming a donor to get nukes is a great idea i think.
    Putting 'donor' between tags in the player list and forum is a good way of showing who actually paid.
    And Mickey's idea of speeding up the armies.
    And I do think for big payers there could be a reward like gold mines or something.
    This way, for non payers there would change almost nothing.
    Only the nukes.

Quote Originally Posted by War_Peace
    Then, do not make them pay!! Make Walmart pay...
    lol

I don't like Walmart either, but they're as likely to give you a free server and hosting as ..... well, they won't.

Advertising just won't pay for sites like this. Not without it being a pain in the ***.

Mickey is doing a great job with what he's got, but this site is gonna outgrow his servers shortly. Your complaints about things going slow can be fixed, but the only real solution is with $$$CASH$$$.

No free rides....

That Walmart thing was a metaphor... It was a reference made to a "genius"

Yes free rides...

"A great leader may find a way to make rich(corporates) pay and others play. That very leader may also prevent disparity in the game by not taking any money from the players in return of extra features..." W_P

Quote Originally Posted by War_Peace
    "A great leader may find a way to make rich(corporates) pay and others play. That very leader may also prevent disparity in the game by not taking any money from the players in return of extra features..." W_P
    You seriously just quoted yourself? Wow.

No, I didn't!...

???

Quote Originally Posted by Stanley
    You seriously just quoted yourself? Wow.
    hahaha LOL

Now seriously(allthough that was funny), I already thought of having donors for this site(game) before Mickey even came up with it.
    After I read someone write that this new domain (www.gewar.com) must not have been cheap for Mickey.
    And you don't have to pay he said. You can still play. Only to encourage paying or see it as a thanks for paying, the donors should have a little something special I think.
    The rest is just for honor as i've said 3 billion times.

Quote Originally Posted by Lukepuuk
    ...this new domain (www.gewar.com) must not have been cheap for Mickey...
    For what it's worth, domains are pretty cheap. I get mine for $8.95 at GoDaddy.com, but there are other places for around the same price.

Also, just FYI, I picked up www.googleearthwar.com as well.

That is cheap.

But it was just the topic that brought me on the idea.
    For you it's a stimulation to keep on programming and spend money and time on it and for us it's not much and could give some a (very) little advantage and the feeling of being part of the whole project.

If I were you I'd just make that sticky topic giving people the choice of wether they pay for free or become a donor.
    Hotmail is for free. It also gives you the option to pay and have a little more then the rest.

Just a thought about $$$.

You can't legally make money off a site using the Google trademark. I know it seems lame, but they WILL claim unfair competition if you do end up making money.

I'm not a lawyer, so I'm not sure how you end-run this, but it's probably worth considering, maybe even asking the EFF http://www.eff.org/

Quote Originally Posted by Stanley
    You can't legally make money off a site using the Google trademark. I know it seems lame, but they WILL claim unfair competition if you do end up making money.
    I'm not too worried about that. If I was making a ton of money, it might be an issue. However, the numbers we'd be making won't be an issue.

Case in point: We already make some money off the main site. Using Google ads. They're well aware that we're making some money and it's not an issue. Their main concern is that we make it clear that we are not affiliated with them.

Unless someone with more legal knowledge than I (and I don't have much) comes and tells me something else, I think we're ok on that front.

Isn't this in their interest?
    It's about people using Google Earth?

Ok what about people just willing to help in on the costs?
    Participating on this project more then just being someone paying to play a game with a google trademark?

Hey Mickey -- how about working towards selling an OEM (branded) version of GE for Google? They have a Plus, Pro, and Enterprise flavor. How about a War version? ;-)

As long as they'd get a royalty, maybe they'd let you in on the source code and that custom version a couple people've been wondering about could be a reality.

Take the long view maybe. I dunno.

Hey, I'm curious -- before the game I'd check out your site now and then, but the game sucked me in. On balance, are most players new, or long-time forum participants at your site? Any idea?

Quote Originally Posted by rasqual
    Hey Mickey -- how about working towards selling an OEM (branded) version of GE for Google? They have a Plus, Pro, and Enterprise flavor. How about a War version?
    You love to shoot for the sky!

Hey, I'm curious -- before the game I'd check out your site now and then, but the game sucked me in. On balance, are most players new, or long-time forum participants at your site? Any idea?
    I don't really know. I'll have to pull a list of registration time/date and compare it with the time/date that they started playing war and see how many are very close. Interesting idea...

FYI, I browsed the forum after looking up google earth on google (of all places) and got sucked into the game aswell.

Also on the money front, maybe you could just appeal to the megalomaniacs and make paying a "shortcut to power". For $5 you get an army of 5,000 or 10,000 troops appear at your home base, maybe more for more money - everything else in the game is the same.

My example, I just got done like a dinner in my aussie city (sydney) and would have loved to instantly "buy" 10,000 trooops to stick it back to him, instead I have to plod along on the jewel trail again.

Blitzkrieg
    ... Speaking of Aussie cities...........................

Quote Originally Posted by blitzkriegmj

Also on the money front, maybe you could just appeal to the megalomaniacs and make paying a "shortcut to power". For $5 you get an army of 5,000 or 10,000 troops appear at your home base, maybe more for more money - everything else in the game is the same.

I don't know. That's about the same as just handing out Geo's for paying.
    I go for the long shot for an advantage that stays, not something I can do in 2 hours of work.