Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: The issue of real money

Quote Originally Posted by Lukepuuk
    I don't know. That's about the same as just handing out Geo's for paying.
    I go for the long shot for an advantage that stays, not something I can do in 2 hours of work.

It becomes the issue of more money than sense but I suppose it sorta becomes a gamble because it's just my untested theory, you might make heaps from people buying armies or people might shy away from it.

I'm kinda thinking I probably won't spend money on the game (not wanting to sound stingy), because there is plenty out there that I don't have to spend money on to play and the clear advantages gained by the payers over the non would just mean I wouldn't play.

The last thing you want is to spend a hell of a lot of time and energy creating a great global game only to have is fizzle because of the money to play.

I think the advantages of paying versus nonpaying need to be addressed to find the right balance. Otherwise, if too high (and they seem to be going that way) and having HUGE armies (script style) roaming around taking nonpaying cities at will, the "havenots" will quickly bore and leave. You do need a steady flow of "have nots" to create the next "haves". If too low then obviously people won't pay because there is little need. I'm sure your weighing that up though, Mickey, otherwise you wouldn't make a topic of it.

So far, from the responses, everyone is keen as punch to pay to play and good on em, but how many who wouldn't pay are going to put their hand up (like me)? Just another persepective.

But I'm stingy and maybe the only one......

My 2 cents
    Blitzkrieg

That's why just little advantages. A little faster army movement, able to buy nukes(they were talking about the nuke issue anyway) and showing the donors for honor.

This means you can still just as easily beat up a paid player when attacking him.

Things you could get for donating $$:
    Honorable mention for donors
    The ability to move your home base at will (within reason)
    The ability to reorganize your troops (split armies up, merge them, etc)
    Own your own plantation/field/mine
    You are still limited to adding one per 36 hours, but you don't have to fight for a spot on the plantation/field/mine.
    Account never deleted
    Better messaging options
    More informative version of the web site

Honorable mention for donors
    no problem
    The ability to move your home base at will (within reason)
    within reason... though a bug and unrealistic element of the game can come out if not monitored. Someone can move their base to next to an empty city, claim it, then moves back... Should have huge (1 week) time constraints.
    The ability to reorganize your troops (split armies up, merge them, etc)
    All should have this ability regardless.
    Own your own plantation/field/mine
    You are still limited to adding one per 36 hours, but you don't have to fight for a spot on the plantation/field/mine.
    Unneccessarily unfair advantage IMO
    Account never deleted
    Should go without saying (at least until subscription runs out)
    Better messaging options
    Possible - some examples?
    More informative version of the web site
    Surely more trouble than it's worth

Another idea is paying member get access to "email alerts" which can be configured to supply all kinds of alerts. Most important would be attack alerts and troops being sent to one of your cities.

I believe any advantages should be in the user friendly side of the game. If a nonpaying member has the time to commit to the game, this option will have little bearing on his conquests, although the ability to receive an email alert while at work, log in and move some armies around to intercept or buy more defenders would be very attractive to others.

My thoughts, remembering that I've painted myself as devil's advocate on this issue.

Blitzkrieg

Here's another approach to the "pay to play", instead of loosing a lot of potential subscribers right of the start when they see it requires a subscription, let them start with a free trial subscription. Along with many of these other guys I was just checking this game out when it sucked me in and consumed 100% of my free time. Give the noobs a chance to get sucked in...say a two week free membership with a small bank roll to get started and maybe shave some of the extras options or abilities from trial memberships. Two weeks later when they are addicted they will definitly be willing to pay a resonable subscription fee to gain full access to the extra abilities and options.

Now with GAMES, so even if you can't be the best at GEWar, maybe you can set some highscores.

Well I believe the intention was to keep it free to play for everyone.
    But paid players would have an honorable mention and a little advantage.
    Mickey himself came up with the idea of faster moving armies and I like a lot of the new ideas other players have come up with.

Yes, but not time after time again...or players who are willing to pay but don't have the money some have, would always be in the disadvantage.
    Make it a 6 month period orso where the ones that pay just have a little advantage over the ones that don't.
    That way it will be more fun for the players who pay, but the ones that don't can still have fun here.
    After all, the paying part should be an honorary thing too. Place the name 'donor' (:P) or something between tags after their name.
    Once more you have supplied a good point. The advantages of a subcribed player should not run new players away from the game.
    There could be protection for new prospects to the game that would not let a subscribed player use advanced tactics on a newbe. We could still use everything that come with a subscription in battles between subscirbers.

How about a second playing field only accessible to subscribers? keeps all the newbie clutter out of the way for a REAL bloodbath.
    this also gives the newbies a fair chance to get on their feet, as the true warlords could spend most of the time in the subscriber universe
    - There could be extra features in there, not available in the main room, new weapons, different armies.. a generally more advanced version.

T.
    Last edited by araT; 09-21-2005 at 07:26 AM.

would that be difficult to set up T? sounds like a good idea, plus this way the newbs get to play for free till thier addicted and then will be glad to pay a subscription fee to play with the big boys. also like you said, this would get rid of the clutter.

I know that in some free games its really really really depressing when you get beat by someone with an unfair advantage because they paid.

Id be fine with armies and such, but not with having paying people nukes while the rest doesn't. It just dont feel right.

How about if paid members don't have a maximum for the bank. As they paid for it they are probably hooked players after all who choose to do this for a long time and should always be able to work towards more? :P
    What if that and a little faster armies is the only advantage?

game needs to stabalize befor wee can pay money.

Quote Originally Posted by b076467
    game needs to stabalize befor wee can pay money.
    It's still in beta right now....we are just thinking ahead to when it comes out of beta.

How about if paid members don't have a maximum for the bank. As they paid for it they are probably hooked players after all who choose to do this for a long time and should always be able to work towards more? :P
    What if that and a little faster armies is the only advantage?
    Yes, this is a good example of a small difference, once someone gets to the limit they have obviously been playing the game for a while and then think to themselves "am I now going to step up?"

Quote Originally Posted by blitzkriegmj
    Yes, this is a good example of a small difference, once someone gets to the limit they have obviously been playing the game for a while and then think to themselves "am I now going to step up?"
    Yes, I think thats really a good idea.
    This wouldn't make it an enormous difference between free players and paying ones...but it would make enough to pay.
    For the starting payers you have faster armies or such...and for the longerlasting payers you have the bank account with no limit.

Great idea...what's mickey's bank account . I just know he'll have that fixed by morning so can't wait to pay