Thread: Can you change just altitude?

Default Can you change just altitude?

I have been using Google Earth to review mountainous terrain prior to a hike/climb in the Rockies... ideally I'd like to be able to "fly" around the terrain with the view tilted all the way, and be able to ascend over peaks / descend into valleys. I can't see a way to do this -- the combination of zooming and tilting is awkward at best. Any ideas? If there's no way to do it I'd put it on the wish list -- seems like it should be a straightforward feature to add.

In that vein...are there any USGS topo overlays?
    Without that, I think the majority of the topographical features are not of high enough resolution to get any valuable information from at this point.

Default Topo overlay

Quote Originally Posted by grav8e
    In that vein...are there any USGS topo overlays?
    Without that, I think the majority of the topographical features are not of high enough resolution to get any valuable information from at this point.

Based on my use, it looks to me like that's what they're using for the topographic display. The shapes of the mountains (when tilted) are roughly what I'd expect if they were based on a topo, as compared with the actual mountain.

Quote Originally Posted by djilk
    I have been using Google Earth to review mountainous terrain prior to a hike/climb in the Rockies... ideally I'd like to be able to "fly" around the terrain with the view tilted all the way, and be able to ascend over peaks / descend into valleys. I can't see a way to do this -- the combination of zooming and tilting is awkward at best. Any ideas? If there's no way to do it I'd put it on the wish list -- seems like it should be a straightforward feature to add.
    Try the flight simulator mode:
    • Control G to enter this mode
    • Control T to go back to normal mode
    • Right mouse button + move up to increase speed
    • With left mouse button down you can change course just like with a stick
    • Click space bar to stop and get level

Stadsman

"Sponges grow in the ocean. That just kills me. I wonder how much deeper the ocean would be if that didn't happen."
    -- Steven Wright

This mode just officially killed me.
    -Steeefan