Thread: Armies on the way to/camping outside of city

Default Armies on the way to/camping outside of city

I would find it useful if there were a visual indicator if I'm in somebody's crosshairs. In the "Your Info" section, in the "Cities" list, it would be handy to have another column in the city table that showed the number of troops on the way and another that showed the number of troops camped outside.

Alternatively, you could have a little green pup tent icon to show that there are troops on the way (click the city name to see exactly how many), and a red one if there are troops camped. The logic would be pretty much the same either way you do it, but you wouldn't need an extra column in the table; you could just put the tent icon(s) next to the city name.

I'll put my very small weight behind this one

Done. I went with changing the background colors of each city row to save space, then added a key below it.

Essentially:

GRAY - No problems
    GREEN - They're on the way
    RED - They're outside!

Quote Originally Posted by Mickey
    Done. I went with changing the background colors of each city row to save space, then added a key below it.

Essentially:

GRAY - No problems
    RED - They're outside!
    Beautiful! Once again, you rock.

small bug on this Mickey is that if you send an army to one of your own cities, it shows up on the warning system....

Easy fix?

Quote Originally Posted by blitzkriegmj
    small bug on this Mickey is that if you send an army to one of your own cities, it shows up on the warning system....

Easy fix?
    Good call. I think it's fixed now, but I have no cities in that situation so I can't say for sure. How's it look to you?

Good call. I think it's fixed now, but I have no cities in that situation so I can't say for sure. How's it look to you?
    I have one in that situation (Osaka) but it still shows an army on the way to the city (my army).

Yeah, good now! Refreshed browser.

Beezer - might that be an enemy????

Quote Originally Posted by blitzkriegmj
    Beezer - might that be an enemy????
    Nope. It's fixed now. Osaka is nolonger that pretty shade of green.

Essentially:

GRAY - No problems
    RED - They're outside!
    HAAALLELUIAH!...

Seriously (yes, here and in two other threads) I register my first protest of a new feature.

Ask yourself whether this kind of "I"m coming" in the real world is an automatic and INSTANT product of a sending commander's decision? Or whether it's what you find out in time, given what you know about troop movements you see happening, combined with inferences deriving from players' past behavior, general demeanor, known alliances, stated intentions, plus your own paranoia.

Why short-circuit all the "soft" use of human thought such real-world scenarios entail, by just making a sending commander's intentions a hardwired function of their mouse-clicks?

I think what has happened here is that an early feature of the game -- sending armies "to a city" -- missed a beat on the way to becoming a good tune. That mixed beat would be that yes, what YOU'RE doing is sending them somewhere in particular, but just 'cause that's your intention and it's what you elect to do in a widget, does NOT mean that it's ideal that such knowledge instantly be available to everyone else. But since that distinction wasn't raised early on, now the feature is being taken for granted when, IMO, it should be seriously questioned.

Don't let "instant intel" (which is what it is, on a global scale) be a substitute for the rich trove of game interest that can come from watching human inferences derive meaning from observed troop movements and the varying levels of understandings different players have about other players' likely intentions. Such "instant intel" flattens the game by not rewarding players who make the best use of their wits. When one of the issues in the game is seeing to it that power isn't a mere function of the efficiency with which people can accomplish the most boring tasks (gather jewels, whether by script or by not having a life), it'd be a shame to forego a chance to make competent play depend more on wits than on what the web interface to the game tells you (with speedy automation) about what someone's forces are intending.

I hear you about the "instant intel" thing, but this game is decidedly not "real world" -- in reality, there are not 1000 unique nuclear-capable governments out there that can muster enough money and troops to go smash ANYONE at ANY TIME. Seriously, all it would take is a good script or a few solid hours of jewel collecting and absolutely anybody could take 2 of the smallest cities, buy a few nukes and then rain hell on the target of their choosing. Likewise, it would be only slightly more involved to forego the nuclear option and just get enough troops to take any of the cities conventionally.

The scale of this game, the potential for chaos and the fact that anybody can be the dark horse makes it so the "instant intel" like this can keep the fun and interest from being sucked out of it.

That being said, I agree with some of your points from another thread about small forces or certain types of forces being able to move "under the radar". I think that's a great idea -- have expeditionary forces or pay extra for stealthy movements, that type of thing.