Thread: Army arrival times

Default Army arrival times

When I see that an army is on its way to my city, I can click on a link to find out what army is on its way. Any chance of adding the estimated arrival time of that army to my doorstep?? This information is already available if you go to GE and use the armies link and click on the pup tent of the army on its way to my city. Putting it on the "1 army is on its way to this city" page will make life a bit easier.

Yeah, that's something I plan to add. It's a bit complicated, so it'll have to wait - I'm tired.

Goodnight Mickey, it's been a good day!

Army arrival times would be great for the defender to know, maybe add it to the other upgrade you added with the color codes on cities you own,
    ETA of army 1. 2. 3. etc.

Now with GAMES, so even if you can't be the best at GEWar, maybe you can set some highscores.

Hmm.

In the real world, "the element of surprise" is a highly valued achievement.

I think smaller, more nimble forces should be able to do covert options almost without detection (not even showing up on the map), much less with notice of what time they arrive.

I think any force strength capable of waging serious war should, indeed, give an indication of their arrival time. On the other hand, there's something a bit wrong even with that. In the real world, if I'm sending my armies across the planet, how is it that the defender of my intentions knows I'm coming to HIS location? In the real world, this knowledge would be due to the state of affairs that exists between our respective powers, press reports and so forth. So there's nothing innately wrong with a sense in which an enemy knows you're coming. But why make that automatic? Why make that happen the moment the attacker punches a button that says "I'm going to so & so?"

I'd strongly urge that army movements be done in an entirely new way. In the GE UI, you'd have a "move forces here" widget, much like the jewel widget. You navigate to a location where you want one or more forces to go, and a center-screen prompt appears. "Move units here?" You click "yes," and up pops the web widget to let you select among the many alternatives open to you (which army or air force, other logistical considerations).

Now, once these forces are enroute, should enemies -- or anyone else -- know exactly what point on the planet's surface they're going to? No, I don't think so. Leave it for players to infer. I can't imagine that the game's subtler ways of letting humans think in interesting ways about what's going on, are best served by just flat-out telling 'em things.

Let people wonder. Let people rely on the "soft" intel that close familiarity with the history of other players' activity affords. Don't do short-cuts to certain knowledge when the circuitous route, dependent as it is on forcing the mind to think carefully and encounter epistemic challenges, is so very much more interesting.

Element of surprise,

Move army to a home base very close to city then move to city, if the owner hasn't checked google earth physically, he'll have no idea you're sitting on his doorstep.

You make a valid point Rasqual, but I believe a "game" needs a certain element of user friendly interface to secure it's longevity. People getting annoyed because they had a load of money in the bank and no early warning system to convert it to men in the field? Annoyance in games is terminal to players - from a player's perspective.

Keep in mind that there are spy satlites that can see your armys

Quote Originally Posted by Da_Warboss
    Keep in mind that there are spy satlites that can see your armys
    Well right now, every bloomin' third world two-bit banana republic warlord in GEWar has a satellite in the sky, then. ;-)

Not realistic. Not cool.

Quote Originally Posted by rasqual
    Well right now, every bloomin' third world two-bit banana republic warlord in GEWar has a satellite in the sky, then. ;-)

Not realistic. Not cool.
    Is that any worse than the fact that every bloomin' third world two-bit banana republic warlord in GEWar has the ability to collect a buttload of jewels, put together a decent-sized army, take over 2 small cities and buy a nuke? I still contend that the "instant intel" helps balance the chaos factor caused by the fact that anybody can destroy anybody else if they put their mind to it.

Quote Originally Posted by birq
    Is that any worse than the fact that every bloomin' third world two-bit banana republic warlord in GEWar has the ability to collect a buttload of jewels, put together a decent-sized army, take over 2 small cities and buy a nuke? I still contend that the "instant intel" helps balance the chaos factor caused by the fact that anybody can destroy anybody else if they put their mind to it.
    Soooo . . . just to be clear: Are you implying that the solution to several problems is to foist yet another? ;-)

Soooo . . . just to be clear: Are you implying that the solution to several problems is to foist yet another? ;-)
    Until those problems are really fixed, if the net effect is a better game, then yes, except for the fact that I don't consider it a "problem"

Quote Originally Posted by birq
    Until those problems are really fixed, if the net effect is a better game, then yes, except for the fact that I don't consider it a "problem"
    But the action under consideration is part of creating a scenario where the solutions become less, not more, tractable.

"Better game," IMO, means organic relationships -- not artificial constructs which, in the aggregate, will mean a mess of coefficient management for Mickey. A genuinely interesting game will ebb and flow as players do things.

It's the difference between bouncing a ball against a wall with predictable, repeatable and boring elastic properties (the ball always comes back to the same spot if you hit it the same way), and on the other hand playing tennis with a human being. And that's what this game is -- a lot of people in the same environment. Their actions should have consequences the same way a tennis player will hit the ball back to you differently every time. If everyone is just a tennis player whacking their own balls against the ground . . . er . . . dang, that sounds bad . . .

If everyone is just a tennis player whacking their own balls against the ground . . . er . . . dang, that sounds bad . . .
    You make tennis sound so dirty. Doubles would be even more so.