Thread: Germany votes

Hybrid View

Default Germany votes

Anyone watched the German election? What's your opionion about it?

I'm absolutely shocked about the result. I can't believe that SPD got that much votes. Especially after Mr. Schroeder being that impolite and rude in TV right after the elections at the traditonal talk (read a translated version of the SPIEGEL article here).

In my opinion CDU should have made it. Then they were to group up with only FDP which makes a reasonable coalition. Now there are only two options left:
    • Big Coalition: CDU/CSU + SPD with FDP, Grüne and Linke in opposition
    • Black Traffic Light / Jamaica Coalition: CDU/CSU + FDP + Grüne with SPD and Linke in opposition

I prefer the second one. What do you think? I'm interested in how the Germans here and also the people from all over the world think about the election.

For more information, visit
    Last edited by Steeefan; 09-18-2005 at 09:13 PM.
    -Steeefan

I haven't followed the election very closely, but it seems that the SPD has bridged the gap based on Schroeder's popularity and not on the issues. It also seems that people didn't put a lot of trust in Merkel but liked her ideas. So the personalities may have made the difference, a very discomforting thought. I always treasured the idea that in Europe elections were not about the person but now it seems we're heading for US style politics. I'm happy though that the main parties seem to rule out a coalition with the PDS.

Stadsman

"Sponges grow in the ocean. That just kills me. I wonder how much deeper the ocean would be if that didn't happen."
    -- Steven Wright

Quote Originally Posted by Stadsman
    I haven't followed the election very closely, but it seems that the SPD has bridged the gap based on Schroeder's popularity and not on the issues. It also seems that people didn't put a lot of trust in Merkel but liked her ideas. So the personalities may have made the difference, a very discomforting thought. I always treasured the idea that in Europe elections were not about the person but now it seems we're heading for US style politics. I'm happy though that the main parties seem to rule out a coalition with the PDS.
    I am sorry the election turned out the way it did. I have friends that live in your country and they complain about over taxing. They say there will be no change now.
    As far as US politics go they are a hollywood movie. Voting is a joke. Plus the richest man wins. What are our leaders going to have in store for us in coming election?