Thread: Investment

Default Investment

Other than natural resources, there should be investment possibilities like in the real world. Specifically, a stock market and a bond market that are at odds with each other. Once industries are implemented, their growth (or decline) would drive the markets, and it would be up to a good speculator to decide which area to invest in.

I don't think it needs to be as involved as the real world at first -- just pick how much you want to invest in each market -- but eventually, you should be able to pick specific stocks and/or bonds and even mutual funds, puts, calls, etc.

Well here's the tough part -- the bank needs to make loans, AND the interest the bank pays needs to be tied to that in a real way. If the loans aren't paid, the bank's screwed, itself. Heck, it should even be possible for there to be a run on the bank.

In all seriousness -- really -- I anticipate that if Mickey sticks with this game and gets more and more serious as time passes (he's such a jocular fellow of late ;-) then the day will come when there will be a veritable securities and exchange commission in the game.

Quote Originally Posted by birq
    Other than natural resources, there should be investment possibilities like in the real world. Specifically, a stock market and a bond market that are at odds with each other. Once industries are implemented, their growth (or decline) would drive the markets, and it would be up to a good speculator to decide which area to invest in.

I don't think it needs to be as involved as the real world at first -- just pick how much you want to invest in each market -- but eventually, you should be able to pick specific stocks and/or bonds and even mutual funds, puts, calls, etc.
    How about starting with cotton and oil stocks, though -- with players holding a lot being able to set up an IPO and sell public stock?

I fear it would be folly to have resources, banks, armies, and investments that have no real relation to each other. Think about it. This is worse than the central control the Soviets tried to run. The foregoing items all have a natural, organic relation to each other in a real world. Now imagine that Mickey instances 'em all in this game, and instead of putting his energy into coming up with a system that instances their fundamental relationships, he just instances 'em as standalone things and manages, himself, the ratios and coefficients that will be necessary to keep an economy that accommodates them in balance. That's insane. It sounds easy up front, but aside from the future madness of not being able to control the economy without constant need for the gods dropping on stage to rescue it, it doesn't make for an interesting game because there's all this economic activity ostensibly taking place, but it doesn't put any kind of a dent at all in the markets. The ratios are hardwired on the back end, and you could sell every asset in the world and the ratios would merrily keep pretending things are as they always were.

The argument that each successive mathematical construct added to this game is a mere tweak and we needn't worry about it, is fallacious in the extreme. Organic relationships take some time to think about, but once implemented release Mickey from the need to lie awake nights worrying about the balance of things in the world.

There's also the option of just using real-world data. The U.S. Treasury department publishes all sorts of data, and I'm sure that some of it is in a nice, easy, compatible XML format (or could get that way with a little Perl).

To relate it directly to the game, though, I think the markets and interest rate should be tied to the industries that are eventually going to be implemented.

Quote Originally Posted by birq
    There's also the option of just using real-world data. The U.S. Treasury department publishes all sorts of data, and I'm sure that some of it is in a nice, easy, compatible XML format (or could get that way with a little Perl).

To relate it directly to the game, though, I think the markets and interest rate should be tied to the industries that are eventually going to be implemented.
    You forgot to remind Mickey how many days he has. ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by rasqual
    You forgot to remind Mickey how many days he has. ;-)
    I was just assuming it was to be done before he went to bed tonight