Thread: Taiwan irked at Google Earth

Hybrid View

Default Taiwan irked at Google Earth

"Taiwan huffs and puffs at Google Earth"
    Taiwan has become the latest, er, country to go whining to Google Earth - not because the entertaining online service reveals high-res pics of air bases packed with black helicopters, but because those tiresome Americans insist on calling it "a province of China".

Oh dear, oh dear. A suitably indignant Taiwanese government has therefore asked Google to correct the outrage to read the Republic of Taiwan - despite the fact that, as Reuters notes, the island of 23 million souls is "recognised by only 26 states in the world and has no seat at the United Nations".
    Last edited by grav8e; 10-05-2005 at 06:45 PM.

Really, though, Taiwan has a good point. To paraphrase Orwell, cartography is power. To wit, you can't find Israel in geography books from Saudi Arabia; it is listed instead as "Palestine."

Imagine the outrage if Canada were labelled as a province of the USA, or Tony Blair choking on his tea if he saw Google Earth listing Britain as part of Europe.

Steve
    [FONT=Garamond]Steve[SIZE=1][COLOR=SlateGray] :neutral:

well.
    I also think Taiwan has a point. Moreover, they are not recognized politically or have a UN seat because of chinese lobby.
    As a economic State, they already have beem recognized. Since im a kid, im always seeing "made in taiwan" stuff, from toys to eletronics.

Anyways, as an international tool, i see a solution by putting on the google reference both names.

Britian is part of Europe

Unfortunately, Google is not about to piss off China by (properly) noting Taiwan as an independent country.

Quote Originally Posted by dbett
    Unfortunately, Google is not about to piss off China by (properly) noting Taiwan as an independent country.
    Yeap... Google is quite submissive with the chinese government. Google News China is censored and I think there are other freedom limitations for the chinese people.

Quote Originally Posted by roid
    Europe is a part of the british empire

While Taiwan was for a short time (1863-1895) a province of China, it was never a province of the Communist PRC. I defy anyone to show me to the contrary. Taiwan is what was left after the communist overthrew the official Republic of China. Taiwan and China do not share the same passports, currency, laws, written language, civil procedures, and neither pay taxes to eachohter. Thankfully Google has changed the error.

Super Moderator Captain Hornblower's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kalle
    Europe is a part of the british empire
    Yeah.... and Mozart was an Austrian
    Last edited by Captain Hornblower; 10-17-2005 at 05:19 PM.

Software is like entropy. It is difficult to grasp, weighs nothing, and obeys the second law of thermodynamics; i.e., it always increases.
    Norman R. Augustine

Quote Originally Posted by roid
    I think it was a joke about Britain, because of trying at all costs to differ itself from Europe. Diferent coin, driving on the wrong side of the roads, strange clothes and weather

Quote Originally Posted by lrolim
    I think it was a joke about Britain, because of trying at all costs to differ itself from Europe. Diferent coin, driving on the wrong side of the roads, strange clothes and weather
    Er, Britain drives on the Correct side of the Road, Our clothes are Cool, Our weather is typically British & our Coinage is the, by far Superior, Pound Sterling. Our Gallons are bigger than the American Gallon too.