Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Earth City Lights discussion

I created a more detailed version of the Earth's City Lights:
    http://www.googleearthhacks.com/dlfi...h-by-Night.htm

That baby shows more details than the data used here. However, a 10 MB file needs to be downloaded and displayed - so better be patient.

Exclamation

Well, sorry guys, that version of the city lights hasn't been approved:
    Denial Reason: 10.3MB is too big for our average user to download, plus the quality isnt that much greater - sorry.

Also sorry, since I disagree about the quality. The better quality was actually the reason for me to set it up.

Anyway, for those of you who like choice, don't have a problem to download a 10 MB file and are patient enough to live with a little startup delay when starting Earth by Night, here is a detailed description how to do it yourself.
    Unfortunately I can't upload a kmz file for you containing the image since a maximum file size of just 2MB is allowed. So you need to do some manual work:

step 1:
    download file http://veimages.gsfc.nasa.gov//1438/...ights_8192.tif (the 10 MB file) and save it to C:\land_ocean_ice_lights_8192.tif (for your convenience, will be removed later)

step 2:
    load the attached "More detailed Earth by Night.kml" file with Google Earth. It assumes you downloaded the image file in step 1 to c:\

step 3:
    Be a bit patient! After some activity on your hard disk and some time Google Earth needs for calculations you should see the Earth by Night.
    In case you got a problem:
    a: thanks to the guys who decided you shouldn't have the choice to conveniently download this.
    b: right click on "More detailed Earth by Night" in Google Earth, select "edit..." , find for the box with the filename and click on "Browse" next to it. Make sure to choose the file you downloaded in step 1.
    c: in case all this didn't help, consider to increase Goggle Earth's cache size (memory cache). My memory cache is 90 MB. But a smaller amount will probably be sufficient. Anyway, increase the cache size drastically to make sure this wasn't the problem.
    Good luck!

step 4: (cleanup)
    Now you got everything you need. Let's start to clean up our mess.
    4a: Create a kmz file containing the image, too:
    In Google Earth right click on "More detailed Earth by Night" and select "Save As...". Select file type "Kmz (*.kmz)" near the bottom of the dialog and save the file to c:\ (keep it close to the tif file you downloaded in step 1, both files will be deleted later).
    4b: To make sure we don't mess anything up, right click on "More detailed Earth by Night" in Google Earth and select "Rename". Rename it to "Earth Night first step" or something like that.
    4c: Now load the kmz file you created in step 4a. In Google Earth select "Open..." in the "File" menu. Then find the kmz-file you created in step 4a with the file dialog.
    Your new Earth by Night is ready now. We just need to get rid of our temporary stuff:
    4d: In Google Earth on "Earth Night first step" (or whatever name you chose in step 4b) and select "delete"
    4e: delete the tif and kmz files (from step 1 and step 4a) in c:\

That's it. Congratulations!
    Attached Files Attached Files

A small revision of my mini Howto above (sorry, looks like I can't edit that post)

Forget about step 4b and 4d, just ignore them:
    Quote Originally Posted by fly-a-lot
    4b: To make sure we don't mess anything up, right click on "More detailed Earth by Night" in Google Earth and select "Rename". Rename it to "Earth Night first step" or something like that.
    [...]
    4d: In Google Earth on "Earth Night first step" (or whatever name you chose in step 4b) and select "delete"
    This doesn't work any more as expected with the newest version of Google Earth (to which I just upgraded). But never mind, it's not really neccessary any more. My older Google Earth had the habit that it didn't include the images in the kmz files with a probability of 20-30%. However, that doesn't seem to be the case any more. Just saved the kmz file about 20 times and the image was always included. Hurray!

Quote Originally Posted by cowtreky
    Strange, I had exactly the same problem with the original file posted. araT version of the file thru just fine.
    Well, there seems to be a problem with image handling in the newer Google Earth versions. I just upgraded to the newest version about an hour ago and start to run into problems using gif files. Everything white now. Since I'm sure that worked yesterday this problem is most likely related to some Google Earth functions. So eventually that problem will disappear after a few more upgrades...

Quote Originally Posted by cowtreky
    Question araT, their are a couple of other files that would not mind setting as either screen saver or start page. How do I go about saving any of these files on my system rather than as a kml for google earth?
    Well, I'm not araT, but maybe I'm able to help out.

There are basically 2 possibilities to use overlay images within Google Earth:
    1. some address (URL) given from where the image should be loaded
    2. image included in kmz file

The first case is quite simple. In My Places ot Temporary Places right click on whatever you are interested in, choose "Edit..." and take a look at "Image URL or Filename". If it starts with http:// (no idea if ftp:// works, too) you know where to get the file. Copy the address into your browser and save the file locally.

In the second case you need to know that a kmz file is really zip file. So if you like to extract an image from there, get the kmz file and unzip it with an appropriate tool (Winzip, Filzip, whatever). You will find a kml file and a folder called images...