Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 500 or so accounts removed

Default 500 or so accounts removed

I'm working on ways to remove abandoned accounts and took out a bunch today.

About three weeks ago, I started tracking the last moment that an account was accessed. Essentially, every time you do anything in the game, our server says "Ok, user xxxx was last active (now)".

I searched for all of the accounts that had no record like that (meaning they hadn't been accessed in 3+ weeks) and that had no armies. Those accounts were removed. They still have message board accounts, and are more than welcome to re-join GEwar, but their GEwar account is gone.

I'll probably wait another week or two before I delete any more, and then only delete accounts that have been abandoned for a full month. I'll still leave those that have armies, as they'll make easy picking for those wanting to build up their "army experience", once that feature is created.

I was wondering when you were going to get around to doing that, getting a little crouded out there.

Now with GAMES, so even if you can't be the best at GEWar, maybe you can set some highscores.

Oh yeah,
    Here's a question concerning closing unused accounts, I play this game at work and I work in Afghanistan, every couple of months I take a vacation and I am gone for about a month. Is my account safe then? Also is there a way to secure my armies while gone, I'll have to abandon all of my cities and do something with my armies and now that armies can be attacked virtually anywhere is there a way to trade them in or a safe place to put them?

Now with GAMES, so even if you can't be the best at GEWar, maybe you can set some highscores.

Quote Originally Posted by michael fontenot
    Oh yeah,
    Here's a question concerning closing unused accounts, I play this game at work and I work in Afghanistan, every couple of months I take a vacation and I am gone for about a month. Is my account safe then? Also is there a way to secure my armies while gone, I'll have to abandon all of my cities and do something with my armies and now that armies can be attacked virtually anywhere is there a way to trade them in or a safe place to put them?
    That presents a rather unique situation. I'd say if you put them all in your home base, they'd be reasonably safe. I'll think about maybe having a better solution for things like that, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Mickey
    That presents a rather unique situation. I'd say if you put them all in your home base, they'd be reasonably safe. I'll think about maybe having a better solution for things like that, though.
    I brought this up a while back but did not get a responce.

Cash the armies in. Hold the geos in your account until you return to the game. So you give your cities up it would be better than leaving the armies in your home base for others to chip away at until you return.

yeah, but the home base would still be able to be attacked. It would be nice to sell them back but not sure if that's possible. let me know what you come up with mickey.

Being able to sell your armies is a very good point.
    This also opens more strategic doors and is a must for people going on vacation.

Also, no armies in the base means no attack...

Quote Originally Posted by War_Peace
    Also, no armies in the base means no attack...
    Downside to that:

If I can sell my armies back for money. . .what's to stop me from keeping all of my resources in funding, and each morning converting them to armies, carrying out my day's attacks, and when I log out liquidating all my armies? Then I would be invincible whenever I wasn't logged in. . .I could wage a guerrilla war--never holding cities but constantly weakening other armies until I felt I was strong enough to sweep an entire area at once.

Perhaps the workaround is a "vacation" setting that only works in one-week increments? So you're locked out of your account for a week (or a month) if you choose to list yourself as on vacation?

Or maybe just make it cost more to liquidate armies. you only get 90% of the money that you paid to create them if you turn them back into cash?

what you're describing is someone who works from their homebase only now they dont have to lose all their troops when they log off.

Bigger armies should just PWOWN small armies, defenses of cities up, and ofcourse then you have to have bigger things to defeat those defenses, and make them only buyable with a city!

Down with the little man! (ignorning the fact that im a little man, but still)

Quote Originally Posted by RossumsChild
    Downside to that:

If I can sell my armies back for money. . .what's to stop me from keeping all of my resources in funding, and each morning converting them to armies, carrying out my day's attacks, and when I log out liquidating all my armies? Then I would be invincible whenever I wasn't logged in. . .I could wage a guerrilla war--never holding cities but constantly weakening other armies until I felt I was strong enough to sweep an entire area at once.

Perhaps the workaround is a "vacation" setting that only works in one-week increments? So you're locked out of your account for a week (or a month) if you choose to list yourself as on vacation?

Or maybe just make it cost more to liquidate armies. you only get 90% of the money that you paid to create them if you turn them back into cash?
    Shhhh. What a great idea. Guerrilla warfare. It cerainly would make the game more challenging. I like the idea of having a "vacation" setting. I am travelling in a couple of days, for a couple of days, and am worried I'll be coming back to nothing. Good ideas!

Quote Originally Posted by aravan
    I am travelling in a couple of days, for a couple of days, and am worried I'll be coming back to nothing. Good ideas!
    Great news! Say good bye to your cities haha

can you tell us at what time are you leaving? Just to prepare the assaults

just kiddin, of course

maybe you should concentrate all your armies in a small town nobody wants to fight for. Then you can reconquer everything once you come back.

Quote Originally Posted by palau
    Great news! Say good bye to your cities haha

can you tell us at what time are you leaving? Just to prepare the assaults

just kiddin, of course

maybe you should concentrate all your armies in a small town nobody wants to fight for. Then you can reconquer everything once you come back.
    "Just kiddin" - sure you are! I'll save you some research.
    I have Chicago and Detroit right now. Come and take them if you want them. LOL I leave at 3:00 tomorrow afternoon CST!

Nothing like a stupid post that opens yourself up for trouble!

It's probably a good idea to put a limit on when the account will be accessable after selling armies and going on "vacation" mode.

Rossumschild-not sure how many people would be willing to march to and from thier home base everyday..unless your home base was within 5 minutes of cape town..

Obviously, any way troops are made invincible will be taken advantage of for some strategy that would take away some of the fun of the game, which might negate how helpful it may be as some in a situation such as yours. I think part of the game is never knowing when you will be attacked, and having to be involved constantly if you want to keep your position. Another problem with the vacation idea is that if everyone can become invincible, say, when there is an army headed in thier direction, or if too many people decide to use it, the game would get really slowed down. What if, in addition to a nuke shield, we could buy additional fortifications which would increase the odds of a succesful defense?

Or perhaps we could build bunkers in antartica? This would allow us to protect unstationed troops, but not be able to go immediately back into play just for a few minutes. The problem this raises, I guess, would be apparent to the owner of cape town... maybe the troops can just hibernate at the home base for a while, and be invincible while they sleep, and when you want to wake them up, there is a brief period where they are vulnerable but cannot move?